𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐚

You were no longer sure about the 'King's welcome' Gimli had sworn when you had entered the labyrinthine mess of mines. Everything was steeped in the stench of decay, and there was no sound but for ominous creaks and the slight noise everyone's feet made on the ground.

"I do not like this," you whispered to Aragorn. "Something is wrong."

"I agree," he said back, his voice hushed as his eyes swept the corridor before you. "There is no activity."

Gimli looked worried, and he suddenly froze in a position of looking down an off-branching route. He let out a roar and ran down it, and you followed him quickly, drawing two blades from your belt and flipping them around your body as you ran.

You found a room of Dwarvish skeletons, many embedded with weapons in their chests. Gimli was howling by the side of the presumable remains of his cousin. You crept closer to the first one you saw, and pulled a long, jagged knife from its ribcage.

"Orcs!" you shouted, dropping the weapon with a clatter. "They're probably still here."

"This room is difficult to find," Gimli said gruffly, a stray tear somewhere in his beard. "If we're quiet, whatever of them that remain will not come across us."

Just as he said that, there was an agonisingly loud clang! from the general direction of ...

"Fool of a Took!" Gandalf hissed, anger prevalent in his voice. Pippin had indeed knocked a war helmet down some form of well.

"Rhaich," you muttered under your breath. Curses. "Aragorn, we must leave."

"It is too late for that," Boromir spoke up, from where he stood by the doors at the entrance to the room of skeletons. Legolas moved to stand by him, lending his better eyesight.

"Orcs and Goblin men," the elf noted. "A few minutes away at best."

"They have a cave troll," Boromir added flippantly.

Aragorn tilted his head behind him with a warning look and you sighed, resigning yourself to the second line of defence. He and Legolas both put an arrow to their bowstrings, Boromir and Gimli readied their usual weapons, Gandalf muttered something that caused his staff to glow, and the hobbits stood in a small huddle at the back of the room.

"Gandalf," you said, sheathing your knives and pulling out a longer sword. "Try and find an escape and get the hobbits out of here. We'll do our best to hold them."

"We are taking orders from the girl why?" Boromir asked to no one in particular.

"Dôl gîn lost," Legolas said sharply. Your head is empty. "She is worthy to be here, and equal to everyone else. Do not look down on her."

At the same time you appreciated Legolas for defending you, you didn't need his pity, nor did you want it. Boromir would only look down on you more.

You drew yourself out of your deep thoughts as the heavy doors you'd barred shook with an onslaught of monsters.

"Ready!" Aragorn shouted.

As soon as an orc made a splintering hole in the door, an arrow pierced it. Legolas smirked with grim satisfaction. Awful noises slipped through the wood: guttural screeches, hisses and growls.

You turned quickly to check on the hobbits, who were yet to find a way out, and as you turned back the door broke like a dam destroyed by a flood, and warriors poured in. You leapt forward, slashing your sword around as ugly, screaming Orcs flashed around you.

"Y/N!" Legolas called, seeing you struggling to take on two at one time. "Here!"

He threw you a sword, and you caught it and slit a throat in the same movement.

"Thanks, mellon!" you shouted back.

You had cleared a decent path for yourself, but things became far more dangerous as the looming cave troll Boromir had mentioned came into the room. It quickly made for the Gondorian warrior and you cursed loudly. As much as you hated Boromir, his death would not be on your hands,

You leapt in front of him, his back turned as he fought an Orc, and slashed the cave troll numerous times, succeeding in turning it away with a roar even if you didn't subdue it.

"Y/N?" Boromir tilted his head, confused, as the girl he'd antagonised endlessly defended him.

"Don't think this makes me like you!" you yelled. "Aragorn! I could use a hand!"

Aragorn hacked at the cave troll's legs, and you cried out as he was thrown to the side. Your scream was cut short as you too were grabbed and hurled at the wall. You hit the stone hard, wincing as you felt something bleed into your hair - the something being your skull. You tried to get up, but your head spun and you fell back again, closing your eyes and taking a couple of deep breaths.

When you opened them again, you could stand, although unsteadily, but you had to leap straight back into the melee as Orcs came for you.

Turning your head to see where the hobbits were, you cursed loudly, seeing Merry and Pippin backed into a corner, and Sam and Frodo helpless as the cave troll faced them.

"Aragorn!" you yelled again, but he would not stir. Stabbing the Orc that was currently attempting to throttle you, you ran for the hobbits, but you were too late.

The world seemed to slow as a blade pierced through Frodo, the Ring-bearer falling weakly and sluggishly to the floor.

The other hobbits cried out, but there was no time to mourn.

"Cover me!" you called to Legolas, and the blond elf immediately ran to your side, an arrow nocked in his bow. You both faced the cave troll, but nothing seemed to be working.

Suddenly, Legolas turned to you and whispered a plan that made your eyes widen. "Legolas! That is a brilliant idea."

Unable to resist, you gave one of the braids on the side of his head a light, playful tug, before dashing away to where he had suggested. Legolas blushed for a moment, then shook his head and moved himself into position, mindful of how many arrows remained in his quiver.

He pulled on his braid himself, smiling to himself as he waited and watched you fly across stone ledges. Frowning slightly, he wondered if you knew the importance of hair in Elvish culture, but he didn't mind if you didn't. He was shaken out of his daydreaming by your shout.

"Legolas! I'm ready!"

You stood on a stone ledge, two swords in hand and grinning. You leapt off it and onto the troll's back, one of your swords around his neck and the other just below his skull. He howled as you pushed and pulled on the swords, cutting through his flesh, but however sharp your weapons were, they had little effect of the troll beyond a sense of annoyance.

But you didn't need to kill him.

Although, any calm and thoughts of the plan vanished as it pulled you off, throwing you across the room straight into a stone wall, next to a rack of armour.

You fell through the metal with a crash, feeling swords and axes bite at your skin until you landed on the floor. Groaning, you tried to push yourself up but couldn't.

You raised your head enough to see a long arrow pierce through the cave troll, but the room began to spin and darken and you fell back on the floor, into a sticky pile of what was probably your blood.

As you stared straight ahead of you, you saw a pair of brown boots rush into your vision. Legolas.

As all traces of consciousness vanished from your mind, the last though to fade was Valar, why do I keep fainting in front of him?

please continue to read, vote and comment !!

𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐒𝐒 | 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐨𝐥𝐚𝐬 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐟जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें