Chapter 39

AN: There were a lot of shifting perspectives in this chapter. It may look messy and very confusing to some people.

Chapter 39: The meeting that someone wants

          Asner was currently tugging on his father's clothes tightly. His father was holding him and engulfing him in a hug. Despite that, he can feel his heart beating fastly in nervousness because of the person who was together with Dr. MacWarren. Said Doctor was trying to not drill holes on the man with his stare.

His father was caressing his head. Somehow, it was helping him on calming down and the system isn't warning him on what is considered as 'abnormal levels' fluctuations of his emotions.

" You belong to Site-19, not in this place, Dr. Bright. "

Dr. MacWarren addressed the man beside him. Asner never wanted to encounter this man so soon. He briefly stole a glance at what was considered to be 'Dr. Bright'. He was different from the depictions of his former world. But maybe, they were right about his description for some time before what was he known for has happened. The only accurate thing about him right now was the lab clothes and the Scp-963 on his neck. He was also currently in a body of a male person. Which Asner suspected was a D class.

" You don't also belong to this site don't you Dr. Connor? "

" Address me by my last name, Dr. Bright. We aren't close acquaintances or familiar with each other. As for your question, I am granted permission to visit this site and conduct interviews. "

Dr. Bright smiled faintly. The expression wasn't what would Asner call happy as it looks like he was insulting Dr. MacWarren with the expression on his face. He would never think the man to be antagonizing. Asner's perception of the Doctor from his knowledge was the very popular chaos incarnate and 'chainsaw cannons'. The human mind and fandoms are based on their perceptions.

" Then, I would permit myself to stay here in this place. "

" Are you kidding?! You couldn't do that! "

" But you don't know don't you Dr. MacWarren? I already have the permission to stay here in Site-17 without permitting myself to stay in this place with my authority. "

" Did Dr. Kondraki permits you on this site? "

" Even better! I would occasionally visit for Scp-239. I have permission from the O-5 and there is the occasional consultation with a certain psychologist. "

Dr. Bright then turned to stare at him. Asner averted his gaze and wished if he could just hide in his father's arms. Which was possible if he just summoned the Invisibility cloak but he didn't want to reveal it in front of foundation researchers much less a person of caliber like Dr. Bright.

Asner was then surprised by the words that Dr. Bright then said to him.

" I'm surprised that this child is still breathing. "

Asner's father glared. It was still thanks to him holding his child while he was sitting that he didn't stand up and attempted to punch the man. How could he say that towards his son? Then, he remembered what kind of place it this and was not surprised that there was a kind of people in this place. Ansell also didn't stand up because his child tugged his clothes and shook his head. The first time that Asner met the foundation researchers that were in charge of him, he was wary. He was the same behavior with this man with the exception that his wariness and cautiousness are more pronounced in this current situation. Whoever this man is, Asner categorizes this man as dangerous and his son doesn't want him to approach the man in any way.

This morning, they were already aware that today's interview with Asner would be different. His son was informed by Dr. Edison last week about a certain Dr. Kondraki. But according to the way Dr. MacWarren addressed him, he wasn't the Dr. Kondraki that they were expecting.

Both the father and son then watched when Dr. MacWarren appeared to be surprised by the doctor's statement. He didn't appear to be offended for Asner but he has his interest piqued.

" Dr. Bright, could you please tell me what you meant by those words? "

" You don't know? "

The infamous doctor scoffed.

" You should be aware that there was the Global Occult Coalition exist or are you focused on your extra-dimensional anomalies department during the past years since you have been recruited by the foundation? "

For the first time that both father and son have seen Dr. MacWarren, he looks both ashamed of himself. Then, he glared at Dr. Bright and retorted.

" I am aware of their existence! "

" I don't believe you Dr. MacWarren. If you were aware of their existence, you should be aware of them specializing in the hunt of reality benders. "

Asner was aware of their existence and specialization. Does he wonder if his clone was already a professor on their magic academy? While Asner was both musing and listening, the conversation between Dr. MacWarren and Dr. Bright continued.

" They have the means and capability of detecting reality benders. The child was fortunate to be alive. "

Asner still listened despite the unnerving conversation about him. He also thought that he had just recently awakened and his circumstances were unusual. He was never certain if the word reality bender applied to him.

Dr. MacWarren stared at Dr. Bright with an expression filled with realization. He then glances briefly at Asner.

He now understands what Dr. Bright was implying to him. A device capable of detecting Reality Benders. Even in an inactive state. People who have the potential to become reality benders. The Global Occult Coalition would willing to kill those people for the sake of the many. Kill those ignorant and clueless people who weren't aware of their potential.

" From your expression Dr. MacWarren, you just have realized, don't you? You are clueless about a lot of things about this Foundation despite the years that you have spent in this organization. "

Dr. MacWarren went to try and compose himself.

" Your incompetence is showing. Have I ever wondered why did the O-5 have assigned you to this reality bender? Perhaps, it was luck that landed you in this situation? "

Asner thought that from the beginning until now, Dr. MacWarren was being roasted. He can't help but feel the doctor was currently pitiful. Over the interviews and interactions, Asner notices the man's habit of him asking math-related questions or encouraging him to answer the test papers about solving problems and equations. If Asner has to guess, he was someone who likes Math.

Dr. MacWarren smiled slightly despite the clear insult towards him.

" Then I am proud to admit that luck was one of my many talents. Even for a person like me, I can't ignore that Luck and coincidences are many factors in life. Don't you agree? "

He asked with an edge on his tone. Instead of answering, Dr. Bright stared both at Asner and his father.

" I guess it was enough time for our bantering. We have displayed ourselves on the subjects. "

" Please, don't refer to him as Subject. Dr. Bright. "

" Are you getting attached Dr. MacWarren? "

Dr. MacWarren ignored Dr. Bright. He smiled both at Asner and his father. He stared at his clipboard and addressed both of them.

" As Dr. Edison may have mentioned during the last week, today would be different with the arrival of Dr. Kondraki. Unfortunately, he hasn't made his presence today and introduced himself due to unknown– "

Dr. Bright interrupted.

" He was annoying some of the O-5's and expressing himself in a very arti– "

And Dr. MacWarren interrupted his interruption.

" You would meet someone today other than Dr. Kondraki and that person wasn't Dr. Bright. You could perhaps consider that person as your playmate.  "