Max's POV

Max was still laying on the bad but unknown to his adoptive parents he was starting to wake up. He slowly started to open his eyes and take in his surroundings. After his eyes adjusted he looked around and quickly realized he was in his home. And the wonderful smell of venison filled his air and then he heard a voice he longed to hear.

 His memory was a little fuzzy but, the last thing he could remember was being attacked by the ghouls then being lifted off the ground by his mom then he blacked out.

Summer: "So when do you think Tullius and the others will come bye so they can check up on Max."

Mason: "I don't know love but they usually show up around late morning."

Max: "M-mo-m, Da-d is tha-t you." He said weakly.

This caused both wolves to perk up and they quickly ran over to the bed and when they saw that Max had his eyes open they were both filled with joy. Summer carefully reached down and picked him up baby style while tears filled her eyes.

Summer: "My baby is finale awake." She said with the biggest smile she could muster.

Mason then got in front of her and placed one of his hands behind his head.

Mason: "How are you doing my pup?" He said with tears in his eyes.

Max: "Ah my entire body hurts and I have a terrible headache." He said wincing in pain. 

Summer than lowered her head and gently nuzzled Max careful not to hurt him while a few tears escaped her eyes. Max then reached up even though pain shot thru his arms and hugged Summer's snout. 

Feeling this Summer only grew a smile on her face while tears of happiness due to her pup being alright ran down her face. Just then she heard Max speak out.

Max: "Mom why are you crying?" He said with a tone of concern.

Summer: "Because my baby is alive." She said with a big smile. 

Mason then walked over and placed a hand behind Max's head. He nuzzled his son the backed up and headed to the door. 

Mason: "I'll go tell everyone the great news." He said with a smile while walking to the door. 

Before Max could say anything to stop him from leaving Mason was already out of the door and into the village. Summer then turned around and sat on the side of the bed still holding Max showing on sign of letting him go. But Max noticed something was off. 

He saw that she no longer had a smile on her face rather it turned into a frown and her ears were now flat against her head.  

Max: "Mom what's wrong you look sad."  He said looking up at her face. 

Summer then laid him down on the bed then got on her knees beside the bed. She sat there for a few seconds in silence. Then she started crying. But before Max could respond Summer spoke up.

Summer: "(Crying) Max I failed you, couldn't protect you. I swore to keep you safe and, you almost died I don't deserve to be your mother." She said with her hands up over her mouth. 

Seeing this Max knew he had to do something but what. And after a few seconds he knew what he needed to do. He leaned forward and even though his body was sore and in great pain he stood up. 

Even with pain shooting through his body he fought thru it all. He walked forward and once he got up to Summer he fell to his knees and hugged her neck. 

Doing this made Summer's eyes went wide. She looked down and saw that Max was hugging her neck. But this time Max was the one to speak up. 

Max: "No you did not fail." He said sternly. " You found us in our darkest hour. You gave my siblings and I a home and love. You have been a wonderful mother to us. I wouldn't ask for anyone else than you." He said looking up to her.