However, the possibility of ever managing to land a hit against the golden knight grew smaller and smaller with each attempt as the headless horseman's attacks became sluggish and wild, fueled by his burning frustration and desperation. The golden knight barely had to make any effort in evading his lance or the horse's kicks now. In fact, sometimes, she would purposefully get closer as if to taunt and mock him for his ineptitude.

Now seemingly bored by the fight, the golden knight changed tactics and swung her spear at the headless horseman, attempting to knock Dex off his horse. However, despite the sheer strength and force of her swing, the headless horseman remained fixed and steady on his steed. Seizing the opportunity, Dex lashed out at the golden knight, who was left open and vulnerable in her moment of confusion. Though his lance only scraped her pauldron, leaving a small black line on her golden armour, Dex relished in his small victory.

The golden knight made a few more tries at knocking Dex off his horse, in between dodging his attacks, before confirming her suspicion that the headless horseman was attached and fused to the saddle. It was near impossible to separate them unless she cut all the way through.

A part of Dex's confidence returned upon witnessing the golden knight struggle and fail at something, as well as his one minor successful hit. However, that soon broke into pieces as the golden knight's focus was drawn to Dex's helmet held under his left arm.

No...

No-

Dex lunged with his lance and retreated, trying to stop the golden knight, but it was too late. The golden knight was too quick and swung her spear at the helmet and knocked it out of Dex's arm. With a clatter, the helmet fell and rolled onto the sand. In that instant, as soon as the helmet left his hold, Dex's steed collapsed onto the ground with a deafening thud of armour as the headless horseman attached to the horse fell along with it. They both remained silent and motionless on the ground.

"Dex!" yelled Sumit. "Dex, please, no..."

The golden knight walked over to the helmet on the ground and picked it up. She turned it in her hands, inspecting it and seeing Dex's severed head inside. Despite his attempts to withhold it, Dex's muffled whimpers of fear sounded out of the helmet as the golden knight stared directly at him through the slits in the helmet.

"No-" Sumit wheezed, attempting to stand up. "Please, let him go! He can't fight you anymore like that. You want to fight people, right?"

The golden knight's attention was then focused on Sumit. She raised her spear and pointed at Sumit's octopus mask, then pointed it to Dex's helmet, the blade piercing through the slits and right up close to Dex's eye.

She could easily end him now. She could give Dex the true and only death in the Eternal Abyss- by damaging his brain and taking away his memories. He would be just a blank slate after that. He would not remember any of his friends or why he was even imprisoned in the Eternal Abyss. Dex braced himself and closed his eyes, tears still managing to stream through the gaps. At the very least, he hoped that he would find the picture he drew of his son.

Please, Dex pleaded in his mind. Please let me find that picture of my son.

Hesitating, Sumit glanced down to his octopus mask attached to his belt, his hand hovering over it. If it would mean to save Dex, then he was left with only one option. But what would happen to himself? After he transformed into a human later, would he go back to normal even though he had used his mask earlier today?

No.

Sumit winced and unattached his mask from his belt. Whatever happened to himself, if he ended up being deformed after his transformation, it was nothing compared to losing all your memories as Dex might experience if he refused to fight. Sumit looked down at his mask. He had to-