Heather

• Dedicated to A judgmental know-it-all who can't think for herself

Okay, first of all, what's going on between me and New Boy is NONE of your business.

Did it ever even cross your mind that maybe i was just trying to be FRIENDS with him? What's so wrong with being FRIENDS with the NEW KID? I didn't see anyone else in our class trying to make him feel welcome, so I went ahead and did it. Yeah, he's cute and I recognize his attractiveness, but do you really have to go and call me a whore for being FRIENDLY?

Like what is WRONG WITH YOU?

And did it ever occur to you that maybe your precious little friend Lynn isn't as angelic as she seems? She tried to tell you he had a girlfriend, but when I talked to him today, he basically said he didn't. You know what else he told me? That Lynn had a huge crush on him a few years ago and asked him out but he turned her down.

If you ask me, she's just jealous and she's trying to make you hate me like she does to everyone else. Honestly, that's straight up bull. 

SO I MADE FRIENDS WITH THE ATTRACTIVE NEW BOY. SUE ME!

He's really cool. It's been two days and already we are acting like we've known each other since middle school. He's doing the whole joking-insult thing that best friends do and we casually chat about things that only friends would.

I mean, is that such a crime?

You're in here talking to Teagan and telling her how you hate people who know someone is in a relationship and still flirt. I'm not deaf, Heather. I can hear you. We don't sit that far apart.

I'm not even trying to break him up with whatever 'girlfriend' he seems to have. I'm just BEING FRIENDS WITH HIM. YOU have guy friends! Maybe I should say the same about you, hmm? 

Yes, he is the cute new boy.Yes, it would be cool if he was interested in me. But I'm not trying to steal him from his 'girlfriend.' I'm just trying to be his friend because, as a former new kid, I know how flipping hard that is.

And he even thanked me for it. He said that no one else had made the effort to befriend him on his first day, but I did. I did a good thing to help out a fellow classmate. Don't you remember when you were new? Don't you remember the feeling of confusion as you tried to figure out how things worked and what people were nice and what weren't? It was only a year ago that you were new Heather.

Can't you, for just one second, set aside your jealousy and Lynn's influence and see that maybe this time I actually DO have the best interest at heart? That I'm actually trying to be a really nice person who does nice things and helps people out?

I'm not a whore. I'm not trying to ruin his relationship. I'm not doing all the things you seem to think I am.

I'm just talking to him and becoming his friend. I'm trying to help him adjust to this new school and new people.

Can't you just accept that? Or is that too much to ask?

-Emily