Chapter 24: Can't Understand

34 BULLETS

My heart fell to my stomach.

The new wolf stood tall and chest heaving. Teeth showing in a fight.

Grey and nearly six feet high of thick muscle.

I couldn't scream.

Another werewolf!

It did come to eat me.

Stupid Eleanor and your whistling! What the freak did you think would happen!?

Dropping the blanket, I swirled around for my gun.

I didn't even have it to my eye before Thann laughed a delighted sound and stepped forward. "Cane!"

Cane?

I knew that name.

How did I know that name?

I tried to press the chill away and my thoughts zoomed in.

Cane.Cane.Cane.Cane.

Oh! Cane! It was Thann's family!

The wolf's mouth turned to a sloppy grin and he changed to a man before my eyes.

A very scantily clothed man.

Again with the Tarzan scraps boys?

Gah!

Put on some dang clothes.

I looked away until they were both in an embrace.

"Yena Wothanndo!" The other man laughed and patted his back.

The other man was just shorter than Thann, but still NBA tall. Skinnier muscles but streamlined like a swimmer. He was still incredibly fit and tan. Long hair skimmed about his shoulders as Thann and him did some patting handshake.

My gun was hovering around my nose watching them, when Thann turned a hand my way. "Lona ngu-El."

He realized my state of undress and sped forward replacing the gun to my shoulder and blanket around my chest.

The other man stepped forward, a sweet boyish grin upon his face. "Sawubona. NgiyiCane."

As I stared, Thann shook his head to his brother. "Akaqondi. Ulahlekelwe yindandatho yakhe."

Cane surveyed my hands, then put his own forward to shake, voice a rich tenor. "Hello. My name is Cane."

I was momentarily stunned remembering Thann's grand entrance, but then put my hand in his. "Hi. I'm El."

"El," he echoed. Then with his fingers still clenched around mine, wrapped his other around mine too and shot a knowing grin to Thann. "Owesifazane omuhle."

Thann nodded proudly, before shaking his head out and getting a serious worry. "Cha! Ungowenkosi. Ungowesifazane Wokuduma."

Cane's hands went limp over mine, eyes on me changed to horror. "Owesifazane Wokuduma."

"Ugh. Not that again," I grumbled to myself.

Cane bent quicker than a hummingbird to one knee and bowed, though both hands still held tight around mine. "Owesifazane Wokuduma. Ngizokukhonza." He spoke humbly to my toes.

Thann echoed the words and bowed to me as well. "Owesifazane Wokuduma. Ngizokukhonza."

"Oh good grief," I told the heavens, trying to release my fingers from Cane's hard grip. I couldn't. "Get up boys."