The Other Side

Each person has nine lives of reincarnation before they officially get sent to the afterlife, and never return to Earth.

How can you tell which life you're in? The rules are pretty simple, actually. You just add up the numbers of your birthdate.

For example, you're born on the 23rd. You just add 2 and 3. That means you're in your fifth life.

For those who are born on the 29th, you just add that up again. 2 plus 9 is 11, and continue adding it up, 1 plus 1 is 2. Means, you're in your second life.

Others and confused by the way I act. They tell me that I'm childish yet full of wisdom at the same time. To be honest, I feel like I'm stuck.

I'm on my ninth life — yet I sometimes act like it's my first.

Ah, right. The introductions! Silly me.

Hello, my name is Lalisa Manoban, and this is my last life.

I wouldn't say that I enjoyed all my lives to the fullest since . . . well, it's not like I completed a single life but . . . I have learned a lot for my short amount of time.

For all of my previous lives and even this one, I thought I had one purpose only — to meet my soulmate. I believe that my soulmate can change my fate.

I just need to wait.

For eight lives, I did.

I waited . . .

And I waited . . .

But for those eight relatively short lives, I never met my soulmate.

So how can you tell whether someone is your soulmate or not? Simple. There's an instant connection the moment you two meet. Once your hands touch, you'd feel it. At least, that's what my grandmother told me.

At first, I thought she was only romanticising it too much. I thought I'd have a hard time meeting my soulmate now that I'm in my last life.

Not until I met him.

I can remember it oh–so–clearly — the day that I first saw him.

As I was on the verge of giving up on finding my soulmate, I saw Hobi oppa walk to my direction. At first, I thought he was walking towards me, so I flashed a big smile at him.

Just as I was going to call his name, he waved at someone behind me. "Kookie-yah! Wait up!"

Kookie? Who's Kookie?

I looked behind me. There, right there, I felt my heart thump faster. My knees were trembling — even my hands! I didn't know why I felt that way.

"Hyung," I heard that Kookie groan. "I told you not to call me that outside! Someone might hear you!" he whined.

I giggled, finding him cute.

Good thing I was a bit hidden from the two of them. I guessed that Hoseok oppa didn't see me, so I simply continued observing Kookie.

Hoseok oppa laughed out loud, snaking his arms around Jungkook's neck. "Alright then! Let's head home."

Hm.

Kookie.

He never left my mind after that. I rolled and groaned on my bed, figuring out why I was acting like that. Maybe I like him? But isn't it too early? I've no whatsoever conversation with him.

I literally just saw him once! Why was I acting like that?

Could he be my soulmate?

That thought crossed my mind. I subconsciously glanced at my mirror, embarrassed for myself upon seeing how red my face was.