𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗: 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝-𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝

Start from the beginning

Matthew Perry-Benson

"Hello?"

"Hiya sweetheart, how are you feeling?" A female voice sounded from somewhere in the room.

Matthew's eyes didn't dare to open yet. He could feel the sunlight from an open window shine on his bed.

"I dunno," was all his groggy voice could apparently say.

"You're looking better today."

"I am?"

The female voice chuckled. "Yes, you are."

"Vanessa?"

"Huh? What are you talking about there, sweetheart?" The voice replied.

"You... aren't Vanessa?"

"Who's Vanessa?" The voice seemed to chuckle.

A smile seemed to crack through his dry lips. "My wife."

A few seconds of silence followed by some sort of material shifting around followed his words.

"You don't have a wife, sir."

"Well, no, not really... But she-"

"There's no Vanessa on your documents."

Matthew's eyes cracked open at the words and what he thought was his partner was actually an older woman who seemed to be changing something on his IV pole.

"Did a Vanessa come to see me?" His body was still laying perfectly straight under the covers. He didn't really feel like moving.

"I don't know, I could ask the other nurses who were on earlier shifts."

He nodded.

"It might have been one of your hallucinations, too. You seemed to be having some sort of conversations with someone in your head," the woman added.

Matthew's eyes squinted as they were still adjusting to the light. He didn't remember any sort of hallucination or conversation.

"Is it too bright in here? I can close the curtains."

He nodded again. "Thank you."

As she spun to the window she started asking him a bunch of questions.

"Are you in any current pain?"

"Uh, yeah. My side still hurts."

She nodded and wrote something on her clipboard.

"Feeling nauseous?"

Matthew laid for a second to let his body decide. He shook his head no.

"Good. Does your head hurt at all?"

"Uh, I don't know."

She chuckled. "Okay, well, we gave you numbing pain a few hours ago. Luckily you decided to wake up. I don't know what that man would do if you didn't."

"What man?"

"Some man came to visit you. I didn't catch his name, I was just coming in for my shift when he was about to walk out."

Matthew's brain suddenly turned on as he tried yanking himself up to see the woman more clear.

"Well, what did he look like?"

"Whoa, take it easy now. Your body is still trying to heal, y'know."

She propped his pillows up and he adjusted into a sitting position.

"What did he look like?" He asked again.

"Let me go get another nurse from earlier, someone must know all of the information."

True to her word she brought in another nurse. The guy looked overworked and tired, he held another clipboard in his hand.

"Did you see anyone come in to visit?" Matthew asked the nurse.

He yawned and nodded. "Mmhmm, some dude with grey hair or something. He had, like, a button-up shirt and some pants on."

Matthew stared at the nurse. "Did you catch his name, by any chance?"

"Sorry, we don't document visitors here."

"Oh, okay, well, did you see anybody else come to visit?"

"Nope, sorry. Is there anything I can do? My shift is just about over."

Matthew shook his head no, trying not to let his disappointment show. Once the nurses left him alone, Matthew looked around the room.

What's going on with everyone? Did they catch Warner yet? I need updates...

He reached towards a tray with some of his belongings in it. He found his phone and immediately turned it on.

No new messages.

Lonely feelings started creeping their way into his mind as he sat there still in slight pain.

"You're still watching out for everyone... right, God?"

The only response he got was more silence.

His Bible was the next thing he found on the tray. He smiled at the sight of it. His thoughts kept recircling to his earlier conversation.

Bourne could've been here... he has grey hair and wears button-ups.

But the mysterious voice he heard a few days ago came haunting his memory again, pushing every other thought out of the way.

But that wasn't Bourne's voice.

Looking back down at his Bible, he picked it up, trying to forget his fearful thoughts.

A note slipped out just as it cracked open. The handwriting was written along with the piece of paper. His eyes scanned each word.

When you do wake up, I hope you'll find this. Remember Joshua 1:9; "Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged..." 

Your team needs you, Matt & so do I. Praying for you always.

It was left unsigned. Matthew reread it over and over again. He couldn't help but smile each time.

As he finished reading the passage of Joshua, a ding rang on his phone. Excited, he immediately picked it up and opened the notification.

Unknown: When you get this, text me back. I think I have a lead to the Warner case.

 I think I have a lead to the Warner case

A/N

*tense music plays* announcer: who could it be? find out next time on... Impeccable.

(sounds like one of my mom's soap operas.)