Chapter 36: Bonding over shitty parents really brings people together

Start from the beginning

   I gagged a little, stepping back. Darlene narrowed her eyes but fortunately didn't lean any closer.

   "You're not even related," she said, rolling her eyes.

   "We are, she's my twin." Her white ass looked like paper next to me. Perks of having moroccan genes, I always had a permanent tan.

   Darlene gave me her best dirty look before clicking her tongue. She waved a hand at the others behind her, who'd stopped fiddling with props and lines to see our interaction, but soon began feigning ignorance and carried on. The woman was powerful, props to her. Look at me, I'm hilarious. Get it, because props and theatre and puns and stuff...

   "I don't have time for you, as you can see we're busy with rehearsal." I'm pretty sure I saw the male lead taking the soundcheck boy into the prop cupboard when I came through the stage entrance door. Go him, I haven't even done tongue yet. "Rachel's not here, Loser."

   I scowled at her. "Then where the hell is she?"

   She shrugged, smirking at me with a clipboard stashed neatly in her armpit. "How would I know? I don't keep tags on your friends. She hasn't been to rehearsal at all this week, pass on the message - if she bails on the next club meeting, she's losing her part. I'll give it to Mandy," she pointed to a very flexible brunette. Like really super flexible. How has she not ripped in half yet? That split looked dangerous, but very sexual. My eyes lingered for a quick minute.

   I furrowed my brows, blanking out the sound of Darlene's whiny voice as she rattled on about something to do with the importance of theatre and stuff. Rachel was flunking drama. Since when? She left lunch early to go to a meeting she said - why was she lying to us? To me?

   I smell something fishy and it's definitely Darlene's breath. Dear god, I was going to get her breath mints for her birthday.

   "Oh look! It's Julie Andrews!" I exclaimed, abruptly interrupting her little rant at me. Darlene whipped around so fast I caught some of her luscious hair in my mouth. Bitch. It tasted like money.

   "Where?!" Came her excited squeal and I took that moment of distraction to run away. "I hope you trip and die Losièr!" I heard her shout from a safe distance outside the hall.

   "Break a leg or your neck, Anderson!" I retorted, and practically flew down the corridor almost tripping over my feet when I rounded the corner to the dining hall. There was a small number of people lazing about on the tables, no one that could pose a threat. Mainly just stressed out freshman. The library was too far and I wasn't planning on having a stroke anytime soon.

   Slumping down on one of the seats, I plucked out my burner and rang Rachels number. She didn't pick up. On the third try however, there was some luck.

   "Who's this?" She asked, voice sharp and defensive. I pulled a face at the phone before bringing it back up to my ear.

   "It's me, It's Heidi," I tried not to pant. That run had been something. Jesus Christ.

   Her tone became curious, but I still sensed something off with it. "Hide? What are you doing? Why are you calling me from a random number? Shouldn't you be in class?"

   "And where are you?" I asked haughtily, perking up.

   Rachel paused for a second before her voice came out loud and clear. "I'm at rehearsal, obviously. Darlene's on my ass again."

   The blood dropped from my head down to my motherfucking feet. Did she...? Rachel just lied to me. Again. Like a real lie. Like an important lie.