-56-

Not edited.

"Mummy!"

Keiran ran through the house and into the kitchen where Maggie was preparing dinner. His arms thrown around her and he squeezed her tight.

"I've come to live with you Mummy!"

Maggie tried hard not to laugh which wasn't easy with a six foot child snuggling into you.

"Keiran leave the poor woman alone!"

Peter followed Keiran into the kitchen.

"Hello Peter" Maggie's voice sounded like music to Peter's ears.

"Hey Maggie" he could swear his collar just heated up.

Maggie noticed Tara coming towards the door.

"Tara sweetheart could you show Peter and Keiran to their rooms please. Keiran is next to you and Peter is the room after that."

"Sure Maggie."

Keiran reluctantly let go of Maggie to follow Tara upstairs.

Tara smiled a little as she walked away. If she wasn't wrong then Maggie just blushed as red as a beetroot when Peter said he'd see her in a little while.

Lucas and Jones were coming down the stairs after insisting on taking their suitcases up for them all.

In truth,  Lucas was crawling to Tara after practically forcing her to return to the beach house. It wasn't that she didn't want to but the fact that they weren't consulted in making the decision. Keiran had jumped at the chance of being so close to the beach and to Jace who lived just two streets away.

Being worried about Ellie and the trouble she could cause didn't help either. Knowing that Lucas was stepping up on security around them all made her feel jittery at the slightest sound. The feeling wasn't a nice one and made her think of the times when shed listen to her father stumble through the house, the silence and the wondering where he was... would he beat her that night?

She wanted to explain the way she exploded to Lucas when he told her what they needed to do. She knew that she'd have to open up eventually but for now bringing all that out into the open... no. Knowing it happened and being given details were two very different things entirely.

He smiled softly at her as he waited on the stairs. He was determined that this situation wasn't going to destroy everything they'd achieved so far.

Her distance since he and Peter had told her and Keiran the day before was frightening. It was almost reminiscent of the way she was after... he shook his head. Yes he'd always remember, just as she would, but they needed to lool towards the future.

She looked at him and he felt the ground swallow him whole. The emptiness he saw frightened him. He held out a hand and wished and very almost prayed that she'd reach up and put her hand in his.

She did. Slowly and tentatively at first before her fingers closed around his firmly and his body literally showed his relief.

A quick word to Jones had him showing Keiran and Peter to their rooms while he turned and led Tara up the stairs and into her room.

He didn't turn to her for a moment until she had the chance to look around. Her gasp was what he was waiting for.

Roses. Every shade of pink roses filled the room.

Lucas smiled to see the wonder in her eyes when just moments before they looked so desolate.

He gently tugged on her hand and pulled her to him while moving her arms up and around his neck.

"I'm sorry" he said quietly "so sorry that you've been put in the middle of all this. I'm sorry that you weren't given the chance to decide what you want... but I won't lie baby... I'm really happy that you're home."

She looked at him and nodded.

"I know Lucas. It's not your fault..."

"I could kill my father" he said through gritted teeth.

"Ummm... "

"I won't baby but if he doesn't fix this then I won't be responsible for what happens."

"Let it drop please" her pleas fell on deaf ears.

"No baby. You're too precious to let Ellie do anything to you. I have men watching her and her minions baby. It'll take a miracle for her to get through the surveillance I have on her."

"And me?"

Lucas nodded.

"And you baby. I'm sorry but it has to be this way. I won't lose you because of someone like her" he grinned suddenly "I can stuff up all on my own."

She laughed at him and he buried his head down on her shoulder.

"I'm so damn happy you're staying baby" he moved back quickly. "You said you... did you mean it?"

"Mean what Lucas?"

He gulped.

"That you stayed for me."

Tara took a step back and he felt a grip tighten on his heart.

Didn't she mean it?

He wanted to cry. Him! Lucas Porter,  aka the heartless bastârd, wanting to cry... and for her he always would.

"I meant it Lucas" Tara started slowly with a slight frown "I'm not exactly sure why but it kinda feels right"

Dammit!

A lone tear slid down his cheek.

"Baby steps huh?"

She looked deeply into his eyes.

"Yehhhh" she drew out "baby steps."

"SISSYYYYYYYY!"

Keiran came bursting into the room and his jaw dropped as he looked around. Lucas quickly wiped away the evidence of the tear when Keiran turned and pointed to him.

"You! What did you do?"

Lucas smiled and Tara smiled back at him.

"Welcomed my baby home."

***************

EEEEEEKKKK!!!!!!! I love Keiran but dang if that boy doesn't come in at the wrong moments!