Ch 11

Kelly's POV:

Avery ended up passing out again shortly after I finished tending to her wounds. She was pretty unresponsive, ignoring the thousands of questions I spat at her. Benjamin arrived out of breath soon after.

"What happened! Who did this!" He shouted at me as she rushed to his daughter's side. He let out a shaky breath and grabbed Avery's hand, holding it tightly in his own. "Kelly, is she ok?" He asked softly as he stared at the girl on the table.

"Physically, yes." I told him, also staring at Avery. He nodded and ran his free hand through his hair.

"Okay...okay." He continued nodding and muttering incoherent words to himself. I gently placed a hand on his shoulder.

"She's going to be fine." I assured him and he nodded again.

"Well....I...I.. have to go home. My other kids have school." He looked guilty as he said it, probably about not staying with his daughter when she needed him.

"She'll understand. And she might not wake up before you get back anyway. I'll stay with her when you're gone." I replied.

"Thank you." He yelled as he ran out of the Jaguar to get his kids ready for school.

————

Avery's POV:

Ferris was chasing me through the forest. My legs were in absolute agony but I kept running, hoping to stay out of Ferris' hands. I reached the zoo after what seemed like hours and saw my dad working on the tiger enclosure.

"Dad!" I shouted at him as I sprinted away from Ferris. He payed no attention to my shouts and continued working. "Please! Dad! Help me!" I screamed as I ran into him. My presence didn't even bother him, he didn't even notice that I was shaking him.

I felt 2 hands grab my wrists and pull me away. "No no no no no. Please! Dad! Help!" I cried and my father didn't even glance in my direction.

"Quiet!" Ferris commanded as he turned me around and backhanded me, hard enough to knock me out and make everything go black.

——

I opened my eyes to see my mom on her hospital bed. "Mom?" I approached her and placed my hands on her face. It was like she was really there, I could see and touch her. Her brown curls felt real in my hands.

"Avery...y..you...you've...disappointed me." She breathed out just before the monitor let out a long and loud beep.

"What?! Mom! Mom please." I shook her as she flatlined. "Wake up and tell me that's not true!" I shouted at her dead body, falling to the ground in tears.

———

I woke up with a gasp and jolted up from the table, falling off in the process. "Ow." I groaned after landing hard on my bruised side.

"Oh! Avery. Shit!" Kelly jumped up and picked me up to place me gently back on the table. I thanked her and silence followed. Kelly sat back down in a chair next to me and simply watched me.

"Can you stop with the staring. I know I look like a mess, get over it." I groaned again in embarrassment and turned away to hide my face.

"Avery..who did this to you?" Kelly asked me quietly, placing two soft fingers on my chin to tilt my head her way again.

"I...I-can't tell you." I stuttered as hot tears began falling from my eyes and onto my cheeks. Her thumb found them and quickly wiped them away. Her eyes looked into mine with the most sympathy I've ever seen.

"You can tell me." She whispered and I shook my head softly as more tears began to fall.

"No. I can't." I responded firmly through my crying. Soon that crying turned into sobs and Kelly's arms were wrapped around my bruised torso.

"It's ok. I've got you little one." She cooed as my sobs continued.

"Why'd...did it have..t-to be me?" I hiccuped as I held her close to me as if she could help me forget the past 24 hours.

"Oh sweetie, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She whispered to me, moving me to sit on her lap in the chair.

"Don't leave me." I muttered as I snuggled into her chest with silent tears. She hands found my back and she pulled me closer to her, if that was even possible.

"I won't. I'm staying right here."

———

A/n: Sorry I didn't update for a while. I took some time off to focus on my mental health, cause it was slowly getting worse. But we're all good now. I'll try to post regularly.

On another note...do you guys have any good song recommendations? I've grown tired of my 20 songs and need something new.