Ch 1

- picture above is Avery

- picture above is Avery....played by Maia Mitchell

"Avery! Hurry up!" My dad shouted as I grabbed my backpack and started rushing down the stairs to the front door.

"I'm here. Sorry." I announced, sitting down in the passengers seat. Without a word my dad started the car and sped off to our school.

"Hey Dylan did you ever find your book?" Dad asked as we reached the halfway point.

"No.." Dylan muttered.

"Look, I'm the one who gets the emails about your lack of effort, man. Okay? You either know where the book is or you don't!" My father screamed at him. Must not be having a good morning then.

"Dad it's whatever. I'll know it when I get to school." Dylan replied as he stared out the window.

"You know what? 'Whatever' is the laziest word of the twentieth century, alright? I'm...I've had it with whatever! I don't wanna hear it again in this century, ever again. 'Whatever' is over!"

"He says it all the time. He won't have anything left to say in this century." Rosie commented.

"I'm not letting you out of the car until I get a new word. You know, you gotta focus, man. If you focus as much on your homework as you do on your artwork, you'd have it all. But as it is?" I quickly scrambled for a pen and paper and wrote down the word pernicious for Dylan to say.

"Dad, I finished the Seventh Tower." Dylan said trying to make things a little better.

"You're gonna get an F!" Dad shouted as I handed the piece of paper to Dylan.

"Dad. I'll help Dylan find his book after school and then maybe help him with his homework." I told my father. It didn't seem to make the situation any better because that got him even more riled up.

"No he needs to be responsible for his own crap sometime. I'm tired of you doing all the work for him. He needs to grow up and you need to learn to keep track of your own stuff. I've seen that your grades are slipping in science and history."

"I'm sorry." I whispered softly, knowing that if I spoke up again I'd get my ass handed to me.

There was silence for a while until Dylan spoke up. "Pernicious."

"Thank you. Good word." I smiled as Dad answered because I had been able to help Dylan at least a little bit. Which was better then nothing.

"Dad, nobody's going to give an F to a kid whose mom died 6 months ago." Dylan spoke creating an awkward silence.

"What does pren...peren...pernicious mean?" Rosie asked my dad."

"Causing insidious harm or ruin. Causing damage." I answered for him as we arrived the school grounds. Dad parked the car and we all filed out of it. My brother, who was still angry from this morning's annual argument, slung his backpack over his shoulder a little too hard causing it to rip. His bag fell but I caught it last second and whispered to him that I'd by him a new one after school.

Dad kissed Rosie's cheek and said goodbye to Dylan completely ignoring me as me and Dylan walked off and into the school. "Hey man. Don't worry about what Dad said this morning. He's just in a bad mood and you're trying your best which is all that matters." I comforted my brother as we got to his locker.

He smiled and gently hit my arm (which is his love language with me). "Thank you." I nodded and left to go find my own locker.

A/n: First chapter. Wasn't as long as I hoped it to be but I figured it would be a good stopping point.

Anyways the story is going to follow the movie and not really away from it, but there will be other things I add into it for Avery's story.