Ch 6

I walked around the zoo for a bit, avoiding the my family, Kelly, and the others. It was really beautiful and I eventually sat myself down by the foxes.

Hours later I found myself still there. I found out the 2 foxes were named Sam and Alex from reading the signs on the pen. Both were about 2 years old and were some of the most adorable things I had ever seen.

I was watching the play with each other when Kelly came up to me. Without a word she sat down and watched the small creatures.

"They're beautiful aren't they?" She asks after a few moments of silence.

"Yeah they are." I confirmed, tearing my gaze off of the animals to look at her.

"Did you know that foxes grin when-"

"When they're afraid. I know a lot about animals, as a kid I always wanted to be a biologist." I finished for her.

"Why'd that change?"

"My mom died." There was silence until I spoke up again. "I'm Avery." I introduced myself.

"Nice to meet you." She smiled, but that smile quickly turned into a frown. "Why didn't you join us on the tour?"

"Oh I just didn't want to get in the way." I tried to seem as nice as possible, but in all honesty I just needed a break and it wasn't like my dad would care anyway.

"That's a lie." She said blankly. Man she was good, I've been known for my poker face. Before this only Nolan could see through my lies.

"How'd you notice?" I questioned her.

"I'm a mind reader." She joked and I let out a small chuckle. "No, I'm just good at reading people." I nod and look down at my hands.

"Why'd you come over and here and talk to me?" Not very many people had the guts to come and talk to me, after all half the time I did look like I wanted to murder someone.

"I wanted to meet you. Benjamin didn't bother introducing us."

"Well that normally happens, I'm over it." I replied with a shrug.

"Well it shouldn't be normal." She reasoned with me.

"Yeah I know, but my dad's going through a hard time right now. My brother is too and Rosie doesn't really like me. So I keep my distance, it's best for everybody." I explained.

"Did you know red foxes have an extra-" Kelly started.

"Toe on their forepaws." I finished again.

"And they have ultra-"

"Ultrasonic hearing." Kelly burst out laughing and so did I. It was nice to smile and laugh. I didn't really do it very often, unless I was drunk or high.

"Red foxes' tails are also longer then half of their body length." She informed me, this time I didn't finish.

"That, I did not know." I said with a smile. "But did you know that foxes can make 40 different sounds."

"Nope. Looks like you're giving me a run for my money."

"I guess I am." I smirked. "Well thanks for talking with me." I stood up and wiped the grass off of my butt.

"Yeah anytime."

"I'll see you tomorrow." She nodded and I skipped away, truly happy for the first time in a while. Maybe moving to this zoo wasn't such a bad idea.

A/n: Sorry it took me a bit. I'm kinda in a rush so this isn't proof read but I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It's certainly my favorite so far. Anyways have a good night. :)

(Also :), :(, ;), :p, :D, and :^) are way better then emojis and I will fight til my last breath for them.)