chapter thirteen - showdown on the sea

TW: ASSISTED SELF-HARM, I GUESS???

Lucas watched the small waves in the sea intently. He twitched at the slightest change in their size, tensing at the possibility of the Jorvik's return. That feeling of sharp vigilance was shared by everyone on the Acheron, patiently waiting for the aquatic beast. The plan was for everyone to just go all out at the Jorvik with their Gifts and weapons. Not the most solid plan, but what could you expect from a bunch of seventeen, eighteen, and nineteen year old outcasts? They were superpowered, not super-smart.

A small rumble vibrated through the waters. Everyone raised their weapons. Just short of the horizon, a mass of barnacle-covered tentacles with carriage-sized pods at their ends emerged from the sea. The Jorvik had returned. 

Ian spun the Acheron's steering wheel and begun to sail the vessel towards it. Everyone cried out in a mix of fierceness, determination, and fear to pull the Jorvik's attention to them. It let out a low roar as an enraged reply.  Sarah and Ashley scrambled to pull a cannon to the side of the ship and started loading it.

MJ watched their progress. "Ready?"

The two finished up and nodded.

"Aim..."

Sarah and Ashley complied as the Acheron and the Jorvik made their way towards each other like two trains speeding on the wrong tracks.

"FIRE!"

Lucas' hands shot up to his ears as the cannon was fired. He watched as the cannonball whizzed through the air. The Jorvik reached out one of its tentacles, but the force of the projectile shot right through it. Drops of blood the size of buckets exploded in the air and fell into the sea, staining its blue with crimson. The Jorvik let out a roar in anger and agony, then it started erratically splashing towards the Acheron. Sarah and Ashley hastily reloaded the cannon and fired it once more. Unfortunately, the Jorvik learned its lesson and dodged. 

Matthew raised his hand and a massive octagon was sent in the direction of the Jorvik. Paired with the third cannonball that Sarah and Ashely fired, the Jorvik had a little more trouble defending itself. The octagon managed to slice up an entire tentacle. Only approximately thirty more tentacles left to go. 

"Can't we take out more than one at a time?" Jalen asked.

"Fine, you try then!" Matthew slapped Jalen's back.

"Ah- Ow. Can I hit you?" he asked.

Matthew sighed. "If you have to."

Jalen sent a blow to Matthew's gut with all his might, but Matthew didn't even bat an eye. He just grinned and went back to aiding Sarah and Ashley in their assault on the Jorvik. Jalen frowned a bit at Matthew's reaction, but he began focusing on summoning the Trolley Problem soon afterwards.

The translucent train returned and started chugging through the air on an invisible railway straight towards the Jorvik. This time, it was headed straight towards its last eye. However, as Jalen's Gift travelled farther, the weaker it seemed to be getting. It would flicker in and out of the air, and by the time it made contact with the Jorvik's eye, it disintegrated like the pages of a book drifting on the waters of a bottomless lake. 

"No...!" Jalen grimaced as the Jorvik didn't even bother to let out an enraged scream.

Lucas sighed and unsheathed Requiem from his waist. He tapped Jalen on the shoulder.

"Hm?"

"Use this," Lucas said, holding out his sword to Jalen.

"On...?"