34 | two's a plenty

'It's rather horrifying to think that on the day I was fated to meet you, I didn't notice you, and I failed to mark the beginning of our love story. If that happened, it means I lost the one and only chance to meet my soulmate. Undoubtedly, it is a horrifying thought.'

     " He's so cute! " (Name) squealed, taking baby Shikadai into her arms. 
      " Of course, look at his mother, " Temari said, addressing herself proudly. (Name) let out a laugh at the comment. " Oh really? But to be fair, Shikadai looks more like Shikamaru than you," (Name) spoke, purposely trying to provoke her. 
    If (Name) said this when she first met Temari, the blonde would most likely have thrown a fit. Through time, though, she had grown very fond of (Name), and took none of her sharp comments to heart.
     " Ah, classic (Name). By the way, your due is in two weeks time, right? " Temari inquired. 
   (Name) nodded, unconsciously placing a hand on her round stomach. 
    " That's right.. Tema-nee, does it hurt? You know... Giving birth? " 

Temari smirked, knowing that (Name) didn't have the slightest experience about it.
    " Quite. It varies, really. Some think it's unbearable, but to some it's not painful at all. It's in the mindset, just so you know."

(Name) swallowed hard. Temari's answer didn't help her at the slightest. 
    " Ah, (Name). You said you were craving for tempura and karaage earlier. Let's go downstairs, I asked Tanaka-san to cook up a feast! " Temari beamed.
Tanaka-san was the Nara household's head cook, and excelled in cooking every single kind of dish and cuisine imaginable.
    " Gaara and Shika should come home shortly. Shika texted me earlier that the Five Kage Summit is nearly over," Temari said again.
(Name) nodded as she sat up, passing Shikadai to Temari. She felt as huge as a whale, and she couldn't even see her feet. 
Her eyes trailed over to Temari and Shikadai. Shikadai had spiky black hair that was very identical to Shikamaru's, but his bright teal eyes screamed of Temari.

(Name) wondered what her own son would look like, and what his personality would be like. However, (Name) was sure to accept him, no matter who he would grow up to be.

He was her own flesh and blood, and blood is thicker than water.

Downstairs, the maids were setting up the dining table, and the cooks were preparing a lavish feast for the inhabitants of the house.
   A plate of freshly made karaage fried chicken was placed on the table, as an evening snack. Along with that, there were also some onigiri and prawn tempura. A jug of fruit juice was on the table as well, to wash down the dishes.
   (Name) popped the karaage chicken into her mouth, and savoured the exquisite flavours. 
      " Your cooks really outdone themselves, " she grinned, while sipping on a glass of fruit juice. 
Temari nodded while helping herself to the dishes as well. " Of course. I only hire the best, " she winked. " I hope you're enjoying your stay in Konoha, (Name). It's been quite a while since you visited, but I understand that Gaara doesn't let you go out much. "

(Name) chuckled softly as she shook her head. " More like never."

   " I knew that he'd be the possessive type when he grows up. When we were little, he used to have this teddy bear that he carries around all the time. No one was allowed to touch it, and he would throw a fit if someone attempted to. You know what, I think you actually replaced the teddy bear (Name). Now, it's you who he holds so dearly, " Temari smiled.

She was glad that her brother had someone so love, someone to cherish. Temari knew that Gaara wasn't the social type, and would rather spend time staring at trees than attend a party. 

He was that antisocial. 

But with (Name) by his side, she could see that they made the perfect match. (Name)'s company alone was enough to make Gaara happy, and it was as if she is the only thing he needs to survive.