Chapter 9

Clara yawned as she walked up the steps of the Magic Knights Headquarters, her mind still buzzing from the late night of paperwork she helped William complete. It was still early hours of morning, and Clara was mentally crying on why Julius would schedule the Captain's meeting so early. 

She pushed the door open and stepped inside. There, she found Marx walking from the direction  of where the meeting would be taking place. 

"You don't need me to escort you to the conference hall, correct?" Marx asked as he passed the woman. 

"I'm fine on my own, thanks." She replied to him with an additional wave before mumbling to herself. "Besides, I can walk this place in my sleep." 

"You do look the part." Marx mumbled to himself as he had heard Clara's small comment. He looked back at the woman whose hair was slightly frizzed as it usually looks without her feeling the need to touch it up once in a while. 

Clara approached the conference hall with one final yawn before stretching herself awake. As she did so, she could hear Jack's loud cackling from the other side of the door. A small chuckle came from Clara's own lips as she straightened up. 'That man seems to always be so wired up about something.'  She thought before entering the room. 

"Good morning, everyone." She greeted as she closed the door behind her and took the one empty seat besides Jack. The room's attention immediately drifted to her entrance, but Clara held her head high and made herself comfortable. She noticed that she was the final person to enter the room. 

"Keh, keh. I thought this was supposed to be a Captains meeting only." Jack mentioned as he peered down at me. The height of the man was quite extreme, but that could mainly be from his abnormally long bodice and neck. His tall yet slim figure made it seem fitting for his title as a Praying Mantis. 

"Vangeance couldn't make it, so he wished me here in his place." Clara simply replied, but then the door opened once more and in came the man himself. 

"I've kept you all waiting. I apologize for my tardiness." Vangeance greeted as he stood before the table. Clara looked up at his with slightly parted lips before closing them and standing up from his seat. 

"I thought you had other business to attend to, Sir." She announced. She was about to step out from his place until Vangeance placed a hand on her shoulder, halting her movements. 

"It appeared there was a rescheduling from their part, so I have decided to attend after all. I apologize for not informing you sooner. Please, stay for the meeting and cut the formalities. You are as close to any of us when compared to a Magic Knight Captain." 

Clara stared into his shadowed periwinkle eyes that peaked behind his mask. Nodding, she sat back down in her seat with a warmth to her face. His compliment of her abilities throwing her off. 

"Yes. Thank you, William." She replied. 'C-Cut the formalities? Oh god, I hope that didn't appear as more as friendship in front of everyone. And stop blushing!' She  mentally told herself.

"What were you doing, Vangeance?" Charlotte asked. Clara silently thanked her for ending this  terrible feeling of embarrassment. Least that's what she saw it as. 

"Well, something always needs my attention." He replied, placing his hands on the table to lean. 

"Heh, you're busy. And who would expect it to be otherwise?" Gueldre, the Captain of the Purple Orcas, asked. He was a stubby man who also had a mask that covered half his face. Clara never liked the man as he was known to be quite the conniving individual. He continued, "The charismatic Captain with the most stars to his name this term must have a lot to do. So tell me, what is your secret? How did the Golden Dawn come to be the mightiest of all Magic Knight Squads, and in record time at that. I hear that every member of your squad is developing greater talents than would have been expected of them. Do you perhaps have magic powers that can see into the future?"