28 ◦✿◦ Gyllis Vaddenver

3 chapters left. ❤

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Although in the same empire, the fashion of the Gran Dacchian capital and Nordis is different. The trends begin at the capital and spread to the rest of the empire, it usually reaches the North half a year later or never at all.

First, magic gates could be used to shorten the month-long travel between territories, but only a few can do so. Some bloodlines have a weak affinity to spirit stones and could not tolerate a high density of magic energy for transport. Ironically, for the head family that hunts monsters, The Norvillons had no such problems, although they do not travel to the capital much. Despite the high tolerance for magic, they do not have the mages' ability to serve as a medium for the spirit stones to be used. Only a rare few bloodlines in the world could do so. 

Second, despite being in smaller in number, the noble society of the north prided themselves on identity as Northerners, which that deeply rooted in their lifestyle. Only the younger ones thirst for trends, but as they grow older, the stubborn roots as northerners will be ingrained into themselves.

Proof of such divide was the Hunting Ceremony that only northerners partake. Even the previous kings, and now, the emperor, was not invited. Also, few nobles that could be counted less than fingers visit the Gran Dacchian capital for the social season. And most of them return with the conclusion that the capital's aristocracy was exhausting.

This does not mean that northerners are somber and had no sense of trend themselves. 

This is where the third reason comes in.
Madam Gyllis Vaddenver, former Countess Gyllis Huxlin. She's highly regarded for her etiquette and divorced after fourteen years of marriage. A month after the divorce, her husband married a concubine sixteen years younger.

But Madam Vaddenver, who was aware of his ex-husband's trips to brothels, had already sharpened her tools. She opened her boutique the day after the split.

And since then, she established herself as the most in-demand designer and teacher of the north. Even nobles from the capital asked for her designs and guidance, but like her ex-husband's second and third ex-wives, they too didn't even make the lists of reservations.

And you expect me to breeze in and demand clothes? Lizzie wanted to ask Blinne, who was the main source of information about the designer's life.

Still, the unneeded information was somehow useful. Through it, she concluded that Madam Vaddenver is extremely picky and self-important. She was precise and upheld manners and her craft, as tight as important as breathing.

Lizzie could not blame her. Self-made people have the right to please themselves by removing those undeserving of their art.

And as the imposing two-story establishment of the boutique approaches, Lizzie could only be worried.

She did not need new clothes, but it was the main reason why the duke let her down the center of Nordis. To increase her chances of frolicking outside the castle walls, she must fill her second wardrobe with new clothes.

"Say, Alec," she called, somehow distracted by how people outside stare at the carriage. To her amusement, she had seen people run to their houses and slam the door by the sight of the luxurious deep blue carriage. Three kneeled and one bowed on the ground. While mostly, people watch. "How would you react?"

"It depends on how I view things," he replied, also observing the scene. "Either I think of the Norvillon as protector or monsters, it depends on what I hear."