20 ◦✿◦ The Hunter At Port

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

The day has finally come for Erdan and Garth to leave for Levich Empire. Lizzie and the duke accompanied them to the Nordis port, before boarding one of Norvillon's ships, too big for the two youth, thirty of the servants, fifty of the handpicked castle knights, and ten Black Knights.

"Don't go killing everyone," he commanded Garth. "But you can if they're annoying."

"As you wish, Your Grace."

Then the duke turned to Erdan. "Steal everything you can."

Erdan bowed, with a dark smile. Of course, Lizzie thought, stopping herself to shake her head. And they were not just talking about material things. These are mainly academics, political strategies, decrees, and connections among other things. Aside from education, the Norvillons will prey on the offshore empire.

Predators, as what they were named in secret, among other titles.

After duke said his piece, Garth then squeezed Lizzie into a tight hug. "I'll come back before you know it, Silver! Write me letters okay? I'll send you candies!"

Erdan pulled him away. "You'll crush her." And then he leaned closer with his usual villainous gentleness. "Be a good girl. Let's see how far you've studied next summer."

And it was a challenge more than anything. Lizzie had already pushed their succession contract back in her mind, forgotten and locked.

Well, he's going away to study instead of teaching her, so it's his loss.

Just go, you brat—then he hugged her too, gentler than Garth. Erdan was shorter and lanky compared to Garth, but his presence was as big as the young Devil Number Two. To be surrounded by the Norvillon males, Lizzie was a dwarf.

But unlike before, she was not afraid nor suffocated emotionally. So she hugged him back, and even Garth who enveloped them.

A few knights posted for protection stole glances at the scene, baffled. Devanti Norvillon was either reviewing reports, chasing off the remaining traitors of North, and tracking down the new rise of slave traders. Yet, he even sent off his sons who will certainly wreck havoc on another land. And the two young masters who excelled in their own rights but never so much trusted outsiders nor expressed emotion now looked like boys more than ever.

They said the Norvillons had gone soft in the presence of the youngest Feliziia. But it was the opposite. Them who had nothing but to grasped their titles and lands close to their heartless chest, now had a purpose—to keep the little creature of silver hair and bright blue eyes and her grins safe behind their claws.

And now, enemies certainly knew where to aim.

One of them, a paid killer who successfully blended himself among the porters, sneered. According to his employer, one of the rebel nobles currently hiding for the failed rebellion, if he could not stab the beasts' hearts dead, at least cut where it hurts.

Despite the number of knights surrounding the family, the assassin specialized in distance. A few meters was no matter, especially that the girl's back was exposed, like a blue silky canvas laced with her silver hair.

He pretended to place the sack of potatoes to rearrange the knot and discreetly slipped the thin poisoned blade tied under his dirtied pants. All he must do is throw it and flee. Some paid killers would look down on his cowardly method, but it gets the job done.

The assassin grinned. Hunting time.

He glanced back at his target, but two pairs of bright blue eyes were staring back at him, glinting probably more evil than his own.

It was the oldest scholarly boy with a gentle smile, and yet darker as his hands secured the unknowing girl who complained about the tight hug. The duke gave the assassin a side-eye like looking at a bug and did not even spare him a full stare.

A shiver ran down the paid killer's spine. He drowned at the two pairs of blue eyes and a killing intent so thick it choked him.

Two?

Where's the other boy?

A shadow fell over him, and even the knights who were supposed to be guarding the family, trembled at the sight of whoever behind him.

"Aw man, I wanna hug Silver longer." It was Garth. "You can't read the mood, do you?"

How? The assassin thought. As a man whose job was to kill, he trembled like his few victims who knew they were about to die.

He was just right there.... how did he get behind me?

And to think Orogarthias Norvillon was still young, but his eyes held no remorse like any veteran.

Devils.

The assassin turned around but could not fully do so. The last thing he saw was the boy's dark figure with flaming eyes brighter than the azure morning sky behind him. The assassin's vision spun as his head was sliced off from his body.

Then hunter has been hunted.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Lizzie was finally freed from Erdan's unusual attachment. "Garthie?" She tilted her head at Garth who had now worn his long coat. To how fast he did it, it was a wonder.

"My clothes got messy," he said about to mess her hair, but stopped to accept Erdan's handkerchief, and wipe them even though his hands were clean. Then he messed her hair after.

Weirdo, she thought. Even the knights who had scattered to protect them were now lined in one area, and other porters were more terrified than moments ago.

Lizzie shrugged it off. Nothing's normal in her life, so these small things didn't matter.

Garth and Erdan then boarded the ship and it sailed. Minutes later when the magic stone-fueled ship was the size of a nail on the horizon, Lizzie looked up at the duke who was now holding her hand. "Papa~Papa~ they're gone."

"They are." He said eyeing at the sea.

You'll miss them, huh.

Her predictions were way off the mark. The duke was not looking at the leaving ship, but another smaller one with an appearance of a merchant ship, the Levich Kingdom's flag, a symbol of the sea monster Kraken, waving in the wind.

"Feliziia," he said to the girl who was already staring at him in question. "Tell me if you don't like her. I'll dispose of her for you."

"Her?" Lizzie's big eyes blinked, then followed the duke's line of vision towards the approaching ship. "Who Papa?"

"Your new teacher."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

I remember being so pumped writing this part. I felt their protectiveness for Lizzie. It's scary but cute and sweet, idk.
This is one of my many faves, I hope you do too.

And yes, they're coming.
Ready?

Ellena Odde