16 ◦✿◦ Second Tragedy in an Ugly Dress

Hi. We'll take a little peek into Lizzie's past and some clues. 🤗

Enjoy.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Before Lizzie was found by the Norvillons, she lived in the Peduha slums. And yet, before her years of wandering on the streets, she once lived in an orphanage.

Home of Eryths, named after the believers of Erythrós, the god of death and rebirth.

Yet it seemed the god had never heard of such place, especially that they were only a few believers in once a kingdom, now an empire, open to all beliefs.

Rumors have it that a small portion of the population even worships a rock, and another few worship the emperor's sword.

Or maybe, Erythros heard of the place but disowned his believers for their selfishness.

The orphanage burned.

And it was the work of human selfishness. The headmistress was desperate for insurance money that she burned the old building along with the older children who were too old to be adopted.

Lizzie, who was friends with the older kids due to her mature behavior, snuck to one of the girl's beds, Willen, for a hushed gossip that the girl heard in the capital when she was taken for a trial adoption but was then returned with a broken leg after her prospect parent's beatings.

"Don't trust the adults," Willen told her and proceeded to talk the advances of nobles and the countries under the empire for the empty spot of the emperor's concubine. There was also news of a trade treaty between the empire and another island empire.

Lizzie asked for more information to find a clue about the world that was different from the memories in her head. Although the concept of rebirth or reincarnation was part of the religion in some countries, she felt that her hazy memories weren't purely her own.

She had to find the gap and for that, any information about her world is vital.

That same night, the orphanage burned and no one came for the disabled and sickly children gathered in that room.

Willen had to slap Lizzie out of her cries. Yet with a gentle voice, opposed to amber flames, crackles, and falling debris somewhere and probably close to them, she said, "I couldn't run, so do it for me. Run, little Lizzie, and live for us. You are still young, but you think maturely, you can survive."

Lizzie, who was never much of a crier unlike her peers, sobbed. What can a young girl do? She couldn't carry everyone with death at their door. Before she fled the room, Willen reminded her once more.

"Never trust the adults."

She climbed out the window, slipped, and fell, fortunately on the haystack behind the orphanage that was yet to be burned. She wheezed and with scratches from her struggles.

The orphanage was located by the town border of the Peduha territory. Orbiting the capital. So she took refuge in the woods, stealing fruits from the nearby farms. It would have been a miracle for a child to survive, but Lizzie would think that it was her willpower.

For Willen and the children of that room.

The younger children survived, but Lizzie, who was supposed to be sleeping in the hall was not among the survivors. It was just a few days after when the headmistress broke down in guilt and admitted her crimes.