24. ◦✿◦ Twelve Offers of Misfortune

Start from the beginning

Alec's questions replayed in her head.
"Are you really giving that to him?"

That brat knew! Probably the servants too.

"No!" Her voice echoed, a pitch higher than the usual. "Lizzie didn't want Papa to die!" For some reason, it annoyed her that he waved off the curse of death so easily, even if it wasn't her intention. Man, value your life more.

In a panic, she pulled the Lilia in her pocket and offered to the duke with both hands. "And one more. Thirteen. Lizzie will give thirteen! Now Papa will be alive!"

"Did we even have Lilias?" He squinted at the flower. "They take months to die, but take years to grow too."

"Alec gave it to Lizzie. But Lizzie doesn't need it. Papa can have it."

At the mention of the boy's name, the duke's mood soured, as if the innocent flower could freeze any moment by his glare. "That brat did huh," he mumbled.

Lizzie was not certain if the duke talked to him alone since Ana left, but the little girl was worried for a moment that the capable Alec would earn her father's favor more than her.

However, it didn't seem to be the case. The two males were distant, and more so, Lizzie felt a tension between the two, and she had no idea why.

Devanti lifted her small body, momentarily dangling in the air, and settled her on his lap with a word of advice. "Listen Feliziia, if someone gave you flowers, whoever they are from, do not accept."

Of course. She'd rather accept a jar of honey than blooms that wither and die, no matter how long. Pies and cakes are good too. "Even Papa?'

"Except me."

Well, aren't you selfish?

That day, Lizzie spent her entire morning in the duke's office. There were no words of forgiveness, but she assumed it was the case. Although Ana left, she steeled herself in the belief that the duke had nothing to do with it. And she gravely hoped so.

She watched Alec's sword lesson in the afternoon to list his embarrassing moments she'd throw at him later, only to grind her teeth instead. The boy was small for his age, in comparison to the knight recruits. Even comparing to noble's daughter-turned-knight trainee Graciebelle, he was small. But he was exceptional. If Garth and Erdan wer there, they would have praised him, even against their will.

Lizzie took a stretch and even wondered who can come up with more ideas to topple a country, Erdan or Alec. For some reason, her thoughts were also the contents of the letters she sent to her brothers, with the new boy a staple topic.

Having done her mission of forgiveness to the duke, Lizzie was accomplished for that day. Yet, there were two things she was not aware of.

First, with the news that Morning Screamers was Young Lady Norvillon's favorite flower, its popularity soared in the Nordis. The once considered the hideous weed has become a trend that in the later years, it was to become the unofficial flower of the North.

And second, in the language of flowers, Lillias meant things that aren't for children.

But of course, Lizzie didn't know. And she slept well that night.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

It was a peaceful rest day for Lizzie and she rested in the now complete garden, with new pillars surrounding the fountain and the Wylola flowers, under the same dome-shaped roof where she's enjoying her afternoon tea and macaroons. The pages of correspondence to Erdan's response towards her mention of Alec in the letters laid on the table.

'He seems like a bright boy. I'd love to talk to him someday.'

And despite his calm and amicable reply, for some reason, Lizzie could feel the murderous intent dripping from the perfect handwriting.

Garth was more honest.  'SWORDSMANSHIP HUH? IS HE FAST ENOUGH TO AVOID A PIERCE TO THE HEART?'

And then his penmanship softened when he asked if she wanted ribbons and perfumed papers. Lizzie would have asked for a bow and arrow, but he already included the aforementioned presents along with the letter.

Still, she was thankful they had not asked why Alec was staying in the mansion. It was certain that they knew the situation. Lizzie enclosed a dried Morning Screamer she pressed in her books for two weeks, into each envelope of her replies.

After she found no holes in Alec's budding swordsmanship, she stopped watching him and spent her rest days mostly alone, aside from the maids and guards. The only time they could bicker was during lessons. The boy would sometimes grin when he was winning. And Lizzie was bothered by his rare, but surprising gentleness.

The situation has been the same for the past five weeks. Her etiquette training was halted for now and she read more books and answered more biweekly quizzes from Erdan who must have known her free time.

However, for that particular afternoon, aside from Fay who was heating the wax and sealing the envelopes, Shaw and Leendil stationed themselves closer, almost next to where Fay usually stood behind her. She could also hear the bustle of knights from the barracks and all the directions of the castle.

According to Shaw, one of the captured beasts, was about to be delivered to the Eleventh Fort where tamable beasts are sent for training.

"But that Fenrir escaped the cage. Everyone's looking for it, even the servants. The whole castle is in uproar," he stated. "I wouldn't want to be in the Bakk's shoes right now. They sent the urgent message to His Grace. He must have come before sunrise from Lord Macgarthy's territory."

He then warned her not to be alone for safety.

Bakk was an officer in command of the captured beast and their delivery. Even Lizzie understood why. The poor officer might be fed to the beast once it will be captured.

Remembering her misfortune in the forest, the bony black creatures jumping at her for a bite, Lizzie clenched her hands. They say those creatures weren't even the scariest monsters of the Black Sierra.

The Fenrir stood above the hierarchy.

And it was on the loose.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-