────── 07.

C H A P T E R  VII

C H A P T E R  VII .
ᵖʳᵒᵐⁱˢᵉᵈ ʷᵃᵗᵉʳˢ

The tea in your mouth was unabashedly bitter, stinging your tongue with a multitude of gag-inducing, acrid pricks. Out of sheer will, you forced yourself to swallow the concoction, tears pricking the corners of your eyes as you did so.

"Bitter..." You hoarsely vocalized, still recoiling from the disgusting taste.

"Really...sharp. It's an acquired taste," Huangshan replied encouragingly, yet she herself didn't seem convinced by her own words, "Don't worry, _____. You'll get the hang of it soon."

You cradled the ivory tea cup in your hands absentmindedly, the alarmingly green liquid already beginning to cool. "I hope so. There must be something I'm doing wrong, but I've been following Pops Kai's foolproof brewing methods closely the entire time..."

"Maybe it's the blend of herbs? We have different ingredients than what you have in Qingce Village, and that might be affecting the taste. You had to make a few adjustments, right?" Your companion helpfully pointed out.

"You're right. I'll have to swap out a couple of things again, I suppose..." You found yourself trailing off as your eyes wandered from the safety of the cool shadows to the sunkissed, grassy plain beyond.

It looked exactly the same as it did on that moonlit night. Vibrantly hued flowers speckled the fields with splatters of colors, like splotches of paint across a rough canvas. Gnarled trees, each providing a sheer layer of shade to the ground below, still held their place against the pleasant wind that brushed your clothes and stroked your hair with nimble fingers.

You closed your eyes, smiling unconsciously as you imagined Zhi on that beautiful day, gently running her hands through your tresses whilst humming a familiar tune. Your grin wavered as a pang of sadness pierced your heart, forcing you to wrench your eyelids back open and direct them to your lap.

Light refracted against the tepid tea, drawing patterns upon its undisturbed surface. You missed home already. You wanted to return to the peaceful village where you've lived all your life, spending the rest of your days in blissful quiet. Despite your yearning, however, you had made your mind up -- you wouldn't go back to Qingce Village until you saw your parents happy and well.

That was what you promised yourself, and you weren't someone who would break a promise so easily.

"______! Are you even listening?"

You jolted in surprise, your reverie shattered by Huangshan's bold, robust voice. Still in shock, you mechanically turned your head towards your friend, an irked expression clearly set on her face.