────── 06.

C H A P T E R  VI

C H A P T E R  VI .
ᵒᵖᵗⁱᵐⁱˢᵗⁱᶜ ʷᵃᵗᵉʳˢ

YOU WERE ALWAYS RUNNING.

Oftentimes, you ran with little intent. You ran for the simple things, the flickering embers within a dying hearth -- to retrieve a lost possession, to tend to a small scratch, to notify someone of another's arrival. They were insignificant and mundane, made to solve as quickly as they left.

There were seldom times where you had pure resolve imbued into your dash, burning flames that ravenously devoured wood with tendrils of orange and crimson. Perhaps it was the way you were raised, surrounded by the thinning air and steep mountains, where you were taught that there was little to be worried about.

There was little to be worried about, except for your parents leaving.

Every child residing in Qingce Village had parents. Every child had their parents leave them, for the tempting, enticing prospects that lay in Liyue Harbor. You were no exception -- fate spares no one as their hands carve lonely roads, paths where only one would be able to traverse.

Your memories were foggy, dulled and worn down by the cool caress of time, but one had always seemed to oddly stand out to you. It was vivid, yet jagged; unpleasant to the touch and overflowing with fear. It was a memory where you were running with resolve -- a terrified determination that smoldered and sputtered sparks of angry sadness.

It was the recollection of you running off to see your parents. One that you would prefer not to see on your deathbed.

Your heart palpitated fearfully in your chest. Your eyes refused to close, to surrender to the enemy, choosing to stay locked onto the hulking Geovishap Hatchling raising its arms to strike. Everything seemed to move in slow motion, like it was the last shred of pity from the gods; a final moment to mull over your thoughts.

Their pity was wasted. Your mind was empty, devoid of any ideas and notions. All you could feel was the overpowering wave of emotions; the fiery desire to survive, the unadulterated despair, the looming, ugly feeling of fear that clung to you like a parasite.

Your breaths were labored, frantic, restricted by the cold claws of fear that were wrapped around your neck. You were going to die, and yet you couldn't do anything but stay locked in place? It was pathetic. You were pathetic. You weren't being yourself -- you would have ran by now, fought tooth and nail to get away -- anything to survive and fulfill the things you promised to do.

But survival felt so futile in the shadow of death.

A shadow that suddenly dissipated with a gust of violent, brash wind.