────── 01.

C H A P T E R  I

C H A P T E R  I .
ᵗʳᵃⁿᵠᵘⁱˡ ʷᵃᵗᵉʳˢ

THE HOT SUN BEAT DOWN ON YOUR FOREHEAD RELENTLESSLY, coercing drops of sweat to trail down your temples in rivulets. A rhythmic tune, roughly hewn at the edges, brushed your ears as calloused hands moved nimbly through your hair, twisting and turning strands into delicate braids that were swiftly tucked in with the rest.

The stone ledge that lined the plateaued fields was warm and weathered underneath your shins, heated by the sunlight that nourished the weeds hidden within the rocky crevices. Your booted feet bounced to the steady beat of the melody as your eyes scanned over the familiar sight of blue roofed buildings, terraces of crimson, orange and yellow and uneven mountains speckled with lush greenery.

Your fingers played with the pieces of straw that had come undone in your wide brimmed hat absentmindedly. "Zhi, do we really have time for this?"

"Of course we do!" Zhi chided matter-of-factly, sticking a Glaze Lily into your locks, "We don't need to give the herbs to Chang right away. Besides, it would be a waste to see the Glaze Lilies you found just wilt without any use!"

"You're stalling, aren't you - "

A sharp pang of pain shot through your head, eliciting an injured hiss to slip from your lips. Your hand instinctively flew up to cup your throbbing skull as you swiveled around to face your friend, eyebrows scrunched together and set in a irked expression.

"What was that for?!" You scowled, fingertips barely brushing the sore, swelling bump.

"For pointing out the obvious! Can you just let me forget about dealing with that guy for at least a couple of minutes?" Zhi sighed, pushing you back down into your previous sitting position and beginning to fix your mussed hairdo.

"No can do! It's my duty as your friend to annoy you about everything and anything!" You cheekily replied, poking the ravenette's side playfully.

Zhi slapped your hand away and rolled her eyes dramatically, flattening out the plaits in your hair. "Good grief, _____. You're a handful."

"See, and that's why the kids love me." You grinned and pointed at a young girl running towards the two of you, a big smile spread across her face.

"Big Sister! Big Sister! You're leaving for Liyue Harbor tomorrow, right?" Little Liu's words tumbled out of her mouth clumsily, each word rolling over the other in an attempt to best the previous.

You ruffled her red hair affectionately. "Yeah. I didn't know word would spread so fast, especially since the seniors' hearing isn't what they used to be. I think I only told the news to Zhi, actually..."

You narrowed your eyes at the girl behind you. Zhi avoided your gaze and giggled nervously.

You sighed and turned back to Little Liu, letting your raised arm drop to your side. "Then again, it's Zhi, and she spends more time with the elderly than I do. Well, whatever. Do you need anything, Little Liu?"

Little Liu rocked back and forth on the balls of her heels excitedly. "Yes! Can you give some gifts to my dad?"

"Sure. Jiayi, right? A millelith?"

She bobbed her head enthusiastically. "Yeah! And when I finally get a cool Vision, I'll be able to visit my dad myself as an adventurer! Big Sister, did you get a Vision yet?"

"Nope," You responded, popping the 'p' exaggeratedly, "Don't think i'll ever get one. Most Vision holders have already gotten theirs by this point."

"Aw, that sucks. No one will remember you then, because no one remembers a Visionless adventurer." Little Liu stated frankly.

"Oh, but i'm not exactly aiming to be an adventurer," You hummed, pressing a stray piece of straw back into its place in your hat, "I'm probably going to just settle down in Liyue Harbor. Find a job. Get married. Maybe travel to Mondstadt. I don't know, honestly -- i'm just winging it as I go along."

"So reckless..." You heard Zhi mutter behind you.

"That's part of my charm." You winked at your friend, who returned it with a lighthearted scoff, "How's the hairstyle going anyways?"

"Almost done...and...finished!" Zhi exclaimed happily behind you.

Little Liu tugged at your clothing, awe sparkling in her dark eyes, pointing to the lake of water at the bottom of the fields. "Come on, come on! Go look at yourself in the water! You look like a princess with a Hydro Vision!"

Zhi nudged you forwards with her elbow, almost making you lose your balance and land face down in the boggy ground. "Little Liu's right. Move those princessy legs of yours, _____!"

You punched her shoulder weakly with a beaming smile. "Okay, okay, i'm moving!"

You bounded down terraces effortlessly, feeling the impact of your footfalls reverberate through your limbs. You could faintly hear Little Liu's laughter -- something she rarely did after her parents left to work in Liyue Harbor -- and Zhi's shouts to slow down over the wind that whipped past your ears and ran through your hair, most definitely undoing a solid amount of work that Zhi had done.

The adrenaline that ran through your veins never ceased, even when you reached the bottom of the fields and roughly dropped to your knees to stare at the water. There, reflected in the cool liquid, was you, with ruddy cheeks, labored breathing and a half undone hairstyle hanging flat on your head. Rumpled petals of the remaining Glaze Lilies that had stayed in dropped onto the smooth surface, sending ripples across the unblemished veneer.

"By the Seven, _____!" Zhi huffed out, her back sagging as she took a moment to catch her breath, "Y-you didn't need to run that fast! Aw, and now your hairstyle is all messed up!"

Your dirt-smeared hand reached up to cradle your flushed face, astonishment floating past your glimmering eyes. "...No, Zhi. It's beautiful."

Little Liu nodded indignantly, a elated grin still lingering on her mouth as she buried her face in your side, her words muffled yet still cohesive in your ears;

"Uh-huh! I'm sure a lot of people would think so too!"

━━━━

[ welcome welcome to tempest,, some half-assed genshin fic that i randomly thought up and wrote in the middle of the night!! dedicated to dainsleif,, i have no idea who you are yet but congrats on having the scaramouche effect 2.0 ]