────── 03.

C H A P T E R  III

C H A P T E R  III .
ʳᵉˢⁱˢᵗⁱⁿᵍ ʷᵃᵗᵉʳˢ

SWEET, TANGY JUICE COATED YOUR TONGUE INDULGENTLY as you bit into the sunsettia, the sharp crunch of the bulbous fruit bursting like fireworks in your ears. You hummed in delight, savoring the crisp taste that lingered pleasantly in your mouth.

"Enjoying yourself?" The woman to your right questioned amusedly.

You swallowed and sighed in satisfaction. "Very much. Where did you even get sunsettias as good as these?"

"Off a merchant that I helped escort goods for once. Gave them to me for free. I'm glad you like them so much." Huangshan laughed, shielding her eyes from the scorching sun with her gloved hand.

"Like? That's not even close to how much I love these. By the Seven, I think i've just ascended to Celestia." You muttered blissfully in the middle of your second bite.

Huangshan chuckled heartily. "You're a funny one, _____. Now I know why Zhi likes you so much."

"Who wouldn't?" You airily replied, winking mischievously at her, "How did the two of you meet, by the way?"

The guard for hire shifted the sword on her back as she hummed in thought. "Well, I think it was around the time I was starting out. We just bumped into each other on the way to Liyue, talked a little, and became friends."

"That's...kind of boring. No wonder Zhi's so uptight, she's never had an interesting event in her entire life." You huffed playfully, rubbing at the sticky juice dribbling down your chin.

Huangshan raised an eyebrow. "Really? What do you do in your free time?"

You grinned and spun around mid-walk, linking your arms behind your back thoughtfully. "Ah, nothing much. Just fooling around with the little kids, picking mountain herbs with Zhi, occasionally trying to jump off a ledge into the water below-"

"Let me guess, Zhi stopped you from catapulting yourself off a mountain." Huangshan interrupted, a smile tugging at her lips.

You gasped dramatically. "How did you know?"

"Intuition."

The two of you shared a laugh as you continued along the uneven path, the remains of the finished sunsettia dangling from your fingers.

"...So," You began after a moment of relaxed silence, "Why did you agree to escort me to Liyue Harbor when there's no money involved?"

Huangshan blew a wayward strand of her brown hair out of her face. "It's nothing much -- just a small favor for a friend. I know the merchant's route from Mondstadt to Liyue better than anyone, and besides, i'm on break for the time being."