────── 04.

C H A P T E R  IV

C H A P T E R  IV .
ᶠᵒʳᵗᵘⁱᵗᵒᵘˢ ʷᵃᵗᵉʳˢ

THE SUN THAT KISSED THE HORIZON ALWAYS CAME ACCOMPANIED WITH A SKY OF INFERNO, with flames the color of wintry hearths and blooming snapdragons. Each stroke of orange brought another ray of golden light that bathed the trees' fanned leaves in sparkling luminescence, a parting goodbye to the world before it's plunged into a slumber of velvety night.

Your eyelashes brushed your cheeks delicately as you blew into your hands, the milky white of your condensed breath curling and dissipating into the crisp air. It was a cold evening -- you've spent colder ones up in the mountainous Qingce Village, but you expected Liyue to be relatively warmer.

An irritated huff escaped your mouth in another plume of alabaster. You should've listened to Zhi when she told you to bring a thicker coat just in case.

"O' righteous _____, I have brought you the spoils of my ventures."

Huangshan stepped down onto the wooden landing, draped comically in a variety of dishes. A playful grin tugged at her lips as she sidled up to the table you were seated at, depositing the food and drinks off her arms with ease. "Impressed, my liege?"

"Well, it will do." You sniffed in a snooty voice, pushing your nose up haughtily.

The brunette laughed, sliding into the chair opposite to you and pouring herself a cup of tea. "My deepest apologies. I hope that this magnificent fare will be able to please you."

"I wholly believe so." You chuckled, taking the ceramic teapot from Huangshan's outstretched hands, "Everything looks delicious."

"I wasn't sure what you'd like, so I got a little of everything. It's not much since it's late, but Smiley Yanxiao's cooking shouldn't be underestimated." Huangshan stated.

Your eyes roamed over the array of foodstuff spread across the woven surface, before decidedly settling on a sepia-rimmed plate. "Noodles with Mountain Delicacies? That's one of my favorites."

Huangshan smiled as she lifted a Matsutake Meat Roll from its ocean blue porcelain. "Zhi told me. She talks about you a lot, you know."

You arched an eyebrow. "I mean, who wouldn't? I know that i'm amazing, you don't need to remind me."

"Positively ravishing." Huangshan dramatically drawled, popping the meat roll into her mouth, "The two of you seem really close, though. You must miss her a lot already."

Wistfulness drifted in your gaze as your finger traced the rim of your teacup, feeling the tiny chips and fractures carved by time coast over your skin. "Yeah, I do...but I'll be able to come back soon, right after I meet my parents. Before, I was thinking of settling down in Liyue Harbor, but..."