────── 02.

C H A P T E R  II

C H A P T E R  II .
ᵘⁿᶜᵉʳᵗᵃⁱⁿ ʷᵃᵗᵉʳˢ

"ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT YOU HAVE EVERYTHING?"

Your chuckles echoed light and unbridled as you fumbled to close the metal buckles affixed to your knapsack. "Of course! Zhi, you don't need to worry about me. I have everything under-"

An inquisitive eyebrow lay perfectly arched on Zhi's face as she held a simple pendant up, the cord precariously slung over the tips of her fingers. Light refracted off the stone's blunt facets, covering the scratched surface with a spattering of sparkles that gleamed amongst the sea of azure.

"-control..." You trailed off, your words shriveling up in your throat.

Zhi sighed and shook her head, treading forwards to drape the necklace around your neck. The small piece of noctilucous jade settled beneath your collarbone as if it was meant to be there, glittering softly in the bright luminescence.

"There. You're all set." She stated, taking a few steps back to admire her handiwork, "I can't believe you'd actually forget something as important as that necklace though, _____."

Apprehensive laughter spilled through your parted lips. "The nerves are probably at fault."

Zhi shot you an incredulous look. "You? Nervous? Have you been possessed by one of those ghosts from Uncle Ghast's stories?"

"No! It's just...i'm going to Liyue Harbor. I'm not lost in one of my daydreams anymore -- it's actually happening, right now, in real life. I'm going to visit new places, hear new sounds, taste new foods, and...and i'll be able to see my parents again."

Your hands moved instinctively to touch the pendant around your neck. The mineral, cool underneath your digits, helped serve as a tether to reality -- the wonderful, vivid reality that you were reveling in.

A prelude of silence stretched out between the pair of you. It was comfortable; Zhi's presence had always made you feel at ease, even when you two were little children.

Zhi's dark eyes, which had been lowered to the wooden floor, rose to meet yours. They twinkled like the jade on your skin, glossed over with a tenderness that only a close friend could hold.

"You know, _____, i'm going to miss you."

Even though she had spoken nothing more than a simple, departing sentence, you could tangibly feel the infused emotions pricking at you like thorns. Concern. Happiness. Sorrow. They brewed beneath the thin casings called 'words' so feverishly, bubbling and thrashing within their confinements.