Chapter 6

I SWEAR I HAVE AN EXPLANATION FOR MY ABSENCE!!! See, the thing is, track started up, we are CRAMMING for end-of-the-quarter grades, and then it was my birthday. So yeah. My updates will be spaced out quite a bit, and for that I am sorry. But like I said, REALLY busy. Anyhootnany, ONTO THE LONG AWAITED UPDATE.......

Jason (weren't expecting that, were ya?)

Finally. My homework was FINALLY done. I could hear Thalia in her room, blasting some weird song. My dad was bustling about in the kitchen, getting ready for some weird speech thing. Since he was some sort of important political figure or something, he was always doing that sort of thing.

I grabbed my football helmet and began to polish it. After it was thoroughly cleaned, I set it back on my dresser. I stood up from my desk and walked over to my window. I hefted up the glass and was about to climb out onto the little overhang jutting from the wall when my phone began to buzz.

I considered letting it go to voicemail, but then I remembered that Piper was going to call me. Knowing her, if I didn't answer she would call a search party. I sighed and pulled my leg back inside, walking over to my desk. I looked at the screen and saw it was Annabeth, not Piper, calling me. I hesitantly answered, afraid I was about to get chewed out for getting an 84% on my last math quiz. Oops.

Instead I was greeted with sobs. Crap.

"Jason?" her voice rang through the phone, fearful but determined.

"Yeah Annabeth. What's wrong? Did Luke do something?" I asked, scared for her answer.

"No, it's Percy. He's hurt. I need you to come over as quick as you can. Bring your medical supplies as well," she said in a tearful voice. Then she hung up. I sprang up from the wooden desk chair I had sat down in, and ran to the hall closet. I snatched up my battered medical kit, old but still usable, and dashed down the stairs. My dad, Zach, yelled at me to be back before curfew and I muttered a quick response. I grabbed my keys and ran out the door.

I jammed the key into the ignition, and for a terrifying moment it wouldn't start. I breathed a sigh of relief as the engine roared to life. As I sped down the road, I thought about what could've scared Annabeth so much. Obviously Percy was hurt bad, Annabeth was experienced enough in the medical area to take care of most things. 

Percy had begun to seem like the younger brother I never had. I'd felt protective of him ever since that first day in the woods. He'd been great with the group, got along with everyone. Lunch period was the best part of my day. I thought back to the first few days I had known Percy. He had been really skinny, and really quiet, barely talked to anyone. The only person who could get him to have half a conversation was Leo. And even then, so quiet you could barely hear.

As the days went by, he got more comfortable around us. Talked more and louder, looked us in the eye now and then. And when he and Annabeth had officially asked each other out, we couldn't get him to shut up. He had become a part of our group.

I sighed as I stopped at a red-light. He was possibly hurt, and I had no idea if I would get there soon enough. I was still 20 minutes away from Annabeth's house.

//////////////////////////////////////20 MIN LATER///////////////////////////////

I jumped out of my car and sprinted up the steps leading to Annabeth's house. I flung open the door, and Annabeth whirled around from where she had been standing to stare at me. Her cheeks were tear-stained, and her lip was bleeding, like she had bitten it too hard. She pointed wordlessly over to the couch where a lifeless figure lay.

My stomach dropped father down with every step I took. The body was obviously Percy, the mess of black hair was enough identification. But his face was disfigured with cuts and bruises. I knelt down beside the couch and began to work. The only sign that Percy was alive was the slight rise and fall of his chest, and the whimper of pain that escaped his mouth every time I began working on a tender spot.

I lost track of time as my hands flew around as if possessing a mind of their own. It had to have been at least an hour already. Annabeth was standing quietly where she had been, tears making their way silently down her cheeks. At last, I was finished. I sat back, exhausted. Annabeth led me to one of the spare bedrooms in her house.

"I already texted your dad and told him you were at Leo's. Leo knows as well in case your dad calls him. I thought it would be best if you stayed overnight, in case something else happens," she trailed off, then looked back at me. "Is that ok?"

 I nodded and mumbled a quick answer of acceptance. She nodded and made her way out of the room, shutting off the light and closing the door. I slowly sat on the bed, mentally going through the night's events. Soon, I was tired physically and mentally, and I fell asleep.

DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Ok so it's like 10:00 and I'm tired or else I would've written more but oh well. Mama hedgehog says goodnight to her baby llamas. GOOD NIGHT