Chapter Twenty

"Oh, you're awake." Kie exclaimed, pouring a cup of medicine for Mizue. "You woke up quickly. It's only been two days since you've been asleep." Kie explained, handing her the cup. "Thanks." Mizue said, sitting up to drink the medicine.

"Do want any food, Kie-san?" Naho asked, standing outside the room. "Could you get a bento box for Mizue?" Kie requested. "Sure!" Naho replied, waving over to Mizue. "Oh yeah, Genya told me about a mark that appeared around your eye." Kie mentioned, hoping to hear more.

"He said it looked like a crescent shape around the upper part of your eye." Kie continued, not realizing her sister's shock. "M-Mizue?! Are you okay?" Kie questioned, apparently Mizue had fully blanked out, thinking about a book she found in the library.

"Demon Crests..." Mizue remembered the title of the book, but she was too busy reading Akeno's journal that she forgot to read it. "Mizue." Kie clapped her hands in front of Mizue's eyes until she responded.

"Oh, sorry!" Mizue apologized, chuckling. "Here's your bento!" Naho smiled, holding a box of rice, tonkatsu, maki sushi rolls and some vegetables. Mizue thanked Naho, patted her head and gave her a maki sushi roll for herself.

Five days had gone by as she stayed at the Rengoku estate, helping Kyojuro's father, Shinjuro. "Go away." Shinjuro muttered. "Kyojuro-san and I are going out. Would you like anything from the city?" Mizue offered, becoming quite concerned for Shinjuro.

"Could you get some alcohol?" Shinjuro requested, looking back towards Mizue. "I already told you, I won't get something like that." Mizue scolded, giving a blank look.  "Then I won't get anything." Shinjuro scoffed, looking back at his book. 

"Did he want anything?" The flame pillar asked, crossing his arms. Mizue sighed and shook her head. "I have to go for an emergency pillar meeting, is it alright with you to just go by yourself?" Rengoku suggested, walking alongside Mizue. 

"Sure! Want anything?" Mizue asked, crossing her arms like his. "Nothing I can think of!" Rengoku replied, patting her head. "Alright, see you later!" Mizue said her farewells and off she went to the city. 

Humming a quiet tune on the path,  catching the attention of a snapped branch sound. "Hm?" Mizue looked back to the bushes in the direction of the sound. Under the trees was a young female demon who happened to be listening to Mizue's hums. 

She wore a beautiful flower patterned kimono and her hair was styled in a yakai-maki bun with a white bow wrapping it. Her front hair was brushed to her left side with what looked like a small swipe. But she did have stains of blood covering her kimono and a splatter on her cheeks. 

The young demon's pupils got smaller in realization that Mizue had saw her and hid back into the bushes. "Should I kill her or..." Mizue wondered, walking up to the bush she hid in. Mizue sighed and continued her song, ignoring her small stalker. 

She spent most of the day in the city getting chocolates from all over the city for the three butterfly girls, Muichiro and Rengoku.  The sun started to set while walking back. "Would you like to walk with me?" Mizue offered, looking back at the demon girl who was drooling of not eating food all day. 

She shook her head and continued to listen to Mizue. Up along the path, it got foggy and harder to see. "It wasn't foggy earlier..." Mizue muttered, squinting her eyes to try and see the path. In a flash, a gust of wind past by Mizue and stopped in one spot. The demon girl who had been following her had been decapitated before Mizue could turn around. "Huh?" When she did turn around, a white blade across the young girl's decapitated body. 

"Rengoku was getting worried so I came." Muichiro explained like nothing just happened. "O-oh..." Mizue muttered, watching the girl's body fade away. "I just spent most of the day in the city getting this." Mizue nervously chuckled, handing him a chocolate piece. "Thanks." Muichiro said, walking alongside her.