Chapter One

Mizue Shinguji lived in the city of Tokyo. She grew up listening to the thrilling tales of the Demon Slayers as she began to look for a way to become one herself.

Her father, however, told her, "These are just silly stories. Those who actually believe in this stuff are stupid."  He was different from other fathers. He made sure his children grew up without such nonsense in their heads. Her father was a rather successful man. He would work day to night hiring employees for his shop and selling goods. Unfortunately, he didn't get to spend much time with her.

It was the same with her mother. She was a shop assistant in a place with crowds just buying food and toys. She never had siblings to play with and talk to.

The only one who spent most of their time with Mizue was her best friend, Himari . Mizue was uncomfortable around her at times. Sometimes she would say, "I mean, you can't do anything about it." The worst part was that whenever she felt she could help someone, she would say such stuff. "You could tell me if I'm doing something wrong. It's not that hard." Other children would gossip about people being toxic for telling the truth so she found it hard to tell the truth to Himari.

If her parents did or said something wrong, she wouldn't talk about it. She was worried it would make her parents yell at her even more than usual. She had other 'friends' such as Yuri Asuka and Kazuha Sugisaki (no, not Kazuha Kaedehara.) but they weren't really friends. Yuri would only speak to Mizue if she spoke first and Kazuha would manipulate Mizue into feeling bad for her.

On a stormy night when Kazuha was visiting her house, Mizue broke. She lost her feelings for her family, her friends and even the demon slayer stories she loved oh so much.  She couldn't cry nor feel anger towards Kazuha. The only reason she had never hated someone is because of the manipulation she faced. It felt like a burden leaving Kazuha so she would stay by Kazuha's side until she found a man by the bustling streets.

"Do you need help, sir?"  Mizue asked with a kind smile but had a blank look in her eyes.

"Oh, no thank you." He declined her offer and he continued to stand in his spot. He looked back at Mizue and realised the 'zero' emotions in her eyes. "Do you know what demons are, young girl?"  The man questioned.

"Yes, but they're just stories." Mizue responded, giving him an expressionless look. The man chuckled and bent down to her height. "May I tell you a small secret?" Mizue tilted her head in confusion, agreeing.

"I'm trying to find a demon right now, if you could help me find it I'll do something for you in return."  The man whispered, giving a small smile. "Are you serious? Like I said, those are-." Mizue scoffed but was interrupted by yelling. A woman was screaming and begging for help yet everyone pretended as if they couldn't hear her. The man's smile disappeared as he went back to his normal height.

"Stay with this crow." The man placed a crow on her shoulder and vanished.  The screaming had stopped in an instant but the man hadn't come back yet. She felt a tap on her shoulder and she turned around to look at who tapped on her shoulder. A different man appeared with a woman who had tears in her eyes. The crow flew away at the sight of this man.

"What are you doing here all alone?" The man looked down at Mizue and gave a smile. Mizue didn't answer. She felt something strange about him, so she ignored him and walked away. He grabbed her shoulder tightly so she wouldn't get away.

"Why don't we talk about something?" The man took her arm and led her to an alleyway where the scent of blood was near. She gained back an emotion of hers. Anger. The man who lent her the crow was laying down to the side with his head decapitated.

"I've heard you've been through some stuff." The man threw the woman onto the other side and in a flash, she was decapitated as well. Shock and anger filled her eyes as she listened to him talk. It started to sound like nails on a chalkboard. But she kept her emotionless state placed on her face.