CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

"Seokmin-ah, we're almost done with your song parts."

It's morning the next day, and the boys are back to practicing and working on their songs. Seokmin is currently in the recording booth with Jihoon, recording Seokmin's parts on the duet while also waiting for Bumzu to arrive.

While recording isn't strictly necessary because the song will be performed live, it will be a great way for Seokmin to practice his parts and for Jihoon to identify any weak points in the song or the singer that need to be addressed.

"I'd like you to sing this part softer, almost whispering, but with the same intensity as the first two choruses. This is the last section, so make sure you nail it. Do you think you'll be able to pull it off, Minnie?" Jihoon inquired from his workstation, his hand on the buzzer box as he waited for Seokmin.

From inside the booth, Seokmin nodded and started jumping up and down, all pumped up and excited. He considered himself very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to sing outside of the group. For him, it was a fantastic opportunity.

"Well, this part, tell me to just stay; I'd like you to do a soft high note like this." Jihoon then went on to demonstrate what he wanted Seokmin to do while the latter stood in the booth, listening and taking pointers.

"All right, Minnie, now you do it," Jihoon remarked, eliciting an enthusiastic response from the younger.

Jihoon played the song, and Seokmin waited for the small male to give him his cue, at which point he sang the part exactly as Jihoon had requested. The young man paused the music and complimented the younger on a job well done.

"Okay, that was fantastic. Let's get your part recorded. After the bridge, begin singing, and feel free to do adlibs. Just keep your eyes on me and wait for my signal. Is that clear?"

Just as Jihoon started playing the music, Seokmin gave a thumbs up, adjusted the headphones, and cleared his throat. They listened as the beautiful bridge part played, and when Jihoon gave the thumbs-up signal, Seokmin started to sing, filling the room with his melodious sweet voice.

"You say, you say
(You say, you say)

그대와 내가 함께 부르곤 했던 이 노래
(This song
That you used to sing with me)

사랑해 사랑해
(I love you, I love you)

오늘도 이렇게 너를 그려 보고 있어
(I'm missing you today like this)

말해 줘 나에게 Just stay
(Tell me to just stay)

그대여 Say 그대여 Say
(You, say, you, say)

사랑해 Say yes
(I love you, Say Yes)"

The music gradually fades until the room is silent, and then there is a burst of applause. Seokmin raises his eyes from his lyric sheet to see Seungcheol, Jeonghan, and Mingyu clapping with Jihoon. They all had similar proud smiles on their faces, which made Seokmin feel both proud of himself and a little embarrassed.

He was so engrossed in the song that he failed to note that a few of his friends had entered the room and were watching him sing.

Jihoon motioned for him to exit the booth, which he gladly did. Jeonghan engulfed him in an embrace as soon as he stepped out, and Seungcheol and Mingyu soon joined in.

"Seokmin, you did a fantastic job. I'm incredibly proud of you." Jeonghan grinned as he gently patted the younger on the cheek.

Jihoon started polishing the song as they broke away from the embrace and sat down on the sofa.