Chapter 10

Christmas was fast approaching, the students at Hogwarts couldn't believe how quickly the first term had flown by. Evie felt a whirlwind of emotions and at times had felt overwhelmed with all the homework she had been set, along with the dramas that were occurring on the grounds. 

Through it all, Remus, Lyall and Hope had been sending her letters of encouragement and words of wisdom to help her navigate her way through the first term. She had told them all about the troubles that had gone on at Hogwarts during the last term. Evie was never one to keep things from her family, she reassured them that she was perfectly safe. This was confirmed by Remus who had said if the school really wasn't safe, then Dumbledore would have sent us all home. 

It started with the writing on the wall, then a rogue bludger went after Harry during the Gryffindor - Slytherin Quidditch match. Evie was sure that someone had bewitched the bludger but she couldn't prove it. Harry was Lucky that all he suffered was a broken arm, it could have been a lot worse. Evie wrote to Uncle Moony and told him how Lockhart had attempted to mend Harry's broken arm, but had infact dissolved all of his bones in his arm instead. By Remus' reply, he wasn't surprised that Lockhart hadn't been able to fix it, turns out he has quite the reputation for poor magical practice, despite have numerous best selling books.  

After that, things got progressively worse. Whilst Harry had been in the hospital wing, trying to grow back the bones in his arm, something dreadful happened. Colin Creevey, a first year Gryffindor was admitted to the hospital wing, he had been petrified. Everyone was becoming more and more scared by the day, so when Professor Lockhart had suggested a Duelling Club, many students jumped at the chance. The students wanted to have a chance at defending themselves should someone or something try and petrify them. 

After Draco had sent a snake flying towardsHarry, during their duel, the atmosphere in the hall became dark. Evie could hear the snakeplanning to attack Harry. Worried for his safety, she had pushed to the front ofthe crowd to warn Harry. However, it seemed that Harry had got things undercontrol, after he had told the snake he was not to be feared, it backed off.Before they knew it, the snake had turned to a Hufflepuff boy, looking as thoughhe was going to pounce. Harry was trying to convince the snake that no one therewas trying to hurt it and it didn't need to attack anyone.

To everyone else however, it looked as though Harry had been egging the snake on to attacking Justin. As it turned out, talking to and understanding snake language, was not a very common gift in the magical world. It was for this reason, Evie didn't tell anyone at school about it. She knew that if she had told someone, even Hallie or Addie they would have seen her differently, maybe even feared her, just as most people now feared Harry. 

After the duelling club had ended that day, all the students descended on the great hall for their supper. Many strange looks were being thrown in Harry's direction, Evie couldn't help but fell sorry for him, but what could she do? As the students began to chatter after they had finished their meal, Dumbledore rose from his seat at the top table and sauntered towards the grand podium at the front of the hall. The hmm of students began to peater out and by the time Dumbledore had reached the podium, the hall was in complete silence, waiting to hear what Dumbledore had to say. 

To many students surprise Professor Dumbledore had some exciting news. "To lift our spirits in these challenging times, I have decided that this year we will resurrect an old Hogwarts tradition. Many years ago, we held a house tournament for the first year students. This was an opportunity to showcase the very best of our young talent, only a select few of you will be entered into the tournament itself - though all students of course, are welcome to watch the tasks when they take place. Those of you lucky enough to be selected, will be notified after the Christmas break and the tasks will be explained to you after that. Now go on, off to bed with you," he stated.