Chapter 20

"You can go home," I told him.

Liam had brought me home and assured my worried parents that I was okay. And even walked me to my room.

"I'll stay till I know you're okay,"

I was still shaking from what had happened with Cassian. I knew Tyler was handling him right now, but I honestly couldn't even believe what had happened.

But I was also thinking about Liam and what he said, what he had said about Noah.

"I'm fine," I assured him, even if it was a lie.

He still had the mark on the corner of his lips where Cas had hit him. However, most of the blood was dried.

What Cassian did to Liam and me will be on my mind for a while. I can still feel his touch on me. I wasn't sure I could ever face him again.

It was going to be harder to let go of everything Cassian did as my friend. We had the best times, and now it all seemed that they were fake.

"You don't have to lie. Cas was your friend," he told me. And I understood that he wanted to make me feel better, but right this second, I just wanted to be alone.

Especially after what had happened between us as well.

"Can I just be alone?" I asked, facing away from him.

"No," he said. And I turned to look at him thoroughly.

"No?" I questioned.

"No."

"Why? I just wanted to be alone," I told him.

"I know why your upset, and it's not just because of Cas," he said.

I was glad he knew. At least this way, I won't have to spell out everything for him.

"I only told you I don't deserve you, not that I didn't want to be with you," he took a step closer.

"We barely began this, and you already think you can't be good enough," I told him.

I'm frustrated with him. I just wanted him to understand that I wanted to be with him. But somehow, just when I think we made progress, he says something like this.

"Why are you so insecure?" I asked, meeting him in the eye.

His eyes widen, and I knew he didn't expect me to say this. But it was the truth. Since this whole thing began, he seemed to always close himself off. I knew what I wanted, but he just appeared as if he didn't know half the time.

I shook my head when he didn't say anything and turned away from him, once again slumping my shoulder.

"You should go, Liam," I whispered to him.

"I watched you," he said.

I turned around to face him. "What?' I questioned.

"I watched you be in love with Noah," he said, letting go of a breath. "I watched you two be happy with each other. I watched it all. I knew he made you happy. Even your smile kept me awake most nights because it wasn't me that was making you smile. And I knew you were better with him. Noah was never like me; he never hurt you or bully you,"

He couldn't even look me in the eye when he told me how he felt. I took a step closer to him and brought my hand to his.

"Noah did make me happy, but the truth is I tried to hide this for so long but," I paused, and our eyes locked. "I liked you. Everyone else seemed always to notice, but I denied it for so long, but it's you, Liam," I admitted. "You told me last night that I was everything you ever wanted, but Liam, you are what I always wanted," I confessed.