THE NEW ENGINEER

"Hello, Captain."

"Admiral."

John was sitting in his office at his desk. He had contacted Admiral Renjay on his computer console on his desk.

"So what do I owe the pleasure, Captain?"

"I need a favor from you, Admiral."

"A favor?" He raised his eyebrows. "What type of favor?"

"Well, my engineer Ron is laid up in bed with a bad case of the Danarian flu."

"Ooh."  The Admiral scrunched up his face. "That's nasty stuff."

John nodded. "Yes, it is."

"So how long is he going to be out?"

"Well, our doctor says he'll probably be out for the next two, maybe three weeks. Meanwhile, I'll need a new engineer to take his place until he gets better."

"You don't have anyone among your crew who can do the job for him?"

"Well, right now our ship's android Roger has taken over for him for the time being, but I really need him on the bridge. And, as you know, The Reliant is a class K ship with a single engine so Ron doesn't need anyone else to help him in the engine room."

"I get your point, Captain. As luck would have it, I sent The Cortez on a surveying mission in the Multaro nebula, so they might be able to spare one of their engineers to help you out until yours gets better. I could ask their captain if he can spare somebody."

"I would greatly appreciate it, Admiral."

"Sure thing, Captain. I'll contact the Captain of The Cortez and get back to you."

"Thanks, Admiral. Captain out."

He switched off the viewscreen on his computer console and left his office to return to the bridge . . . 

***

"Captain."

"Yes, Mr. Renjay."

"We're coming up on the Multaro nebula."

"Have you spotted The Cortez yet?"

"Yes, sir."

"Hail them."

"Aye, sir." After a few seconds, Zack said, "Captain, they're responding to our hail."

"Viewscreen on."

"Aye. sir."

Within seconds, Captain Ortega of The Cortez appeared on the viewscreen. John could tell he didn't appear all that happy to see him. But, then again, that didn't really surprise him given how he didn't have the most sterling reputation among many other Alliance captains. And, judging by the dour expression on his face, Captain Robert Ortega was one of them.

"Captain Ortega," John said as he arose from his chair. "It's good to see you.."

"Captain," Robert said sternly. "Admiral Renjay tells me you need to borrow one of my engineers."

"Yes, Captain. If it's not too much trouble."

"Well, we're just doing this survey mission, so I don't foresee us having any major engine trouble for the next couple of weeks. So I'll send you our head engineer, Patricia Galenorn."