However, just as heat began to climb back through my body, the warning sound of my mother's voice, just like when we were in high school, sounded from downstairs. "Josh, Savannah, I've made you both some breakfast before we drop you off at the airport."

"They really know how to spoil the fun," Josh spoke as he kissed my cheek before rolling over and sitting up in bed. I repositioned myself before sitting up as well and coming to the short and yet devastatingly honest conclusion that I wanted to get used to this; to waking up beside Josh again as if nothing had changed.

"Tell them I'll be down in a sec, I need to shower."

"And pee." Josh mumbled.

"Hm?"

"Nothing." His smirk was knowing as I smiled to myself and shut the bathroom door behind me.

The moment alone gave me time to think about what I'd do once I was back in the city. Nathan would be my first port of call, telling him that if I still felt this way about someone else, then I shouldn't be pursuing anything remotely romantic with anyone else.

Selfishly, I wanted the fairytale ending that I knew wasn't possible. I wanted to finish things with Nathan and still keep a respectable position at work, all the while, pick things back up with Josh as if the past was just that, the past.

But real life could never mirror the fairytale I'd dream about most nights.

Real life was sharing custody of a daughter with someone I was just as in love with now as I was back in high school. It was the impending notion that I would begin working under my ex, making my time at work a living and breathing hell. It was knowing that my life could be better but it was practically impossible.

I showered in record time, mostly because I knew that Nathan was coming over this evening once I arrived back home, and smelling rather indiscreetly of pine and honey, Josh's scent in particular, would give me very little leg to stand on in whatever I said to him.

The smell reminded me of times when we lived together, long before Riley was born. Josh would always follow me down to the laundry room in our apartment building, no matter what, which reassured me more than I could explain. Our shared basket would mostly smell of him, and as much as he'd hear me endlessly complain about his usage of clothing, I secretly loved that I could smell him more often.

In finally emerging from the bathroom, I changed into a simple travel outfit and made my way downstairs, craving breakfast now that it had been mentioned.

Upon exiting my room however, I could just about manage to make out the activities of downstairs. Josh was sat with my parents, just like old times and getting along with the both of them as if nothing had changed. If there was any type of confirmation that Josh was truly the one, it was this.

My father laughed, actually laughed, at something he'd said while my mom stared longingly how a mother would to a son. She'd always wanted us married, even back at our high school graduation. She would smile at the photos and tell me 'you'll marry that boy' before it was something I would unfortunately question.

"Hope I'm not interrupting anything?" I grinned as I emerged from the bottom of the stairs and immediately made my way over to the coffee machine, my priority over everything.

"We were just talking about how much Riley is like Josh," my mother was the first to say, "her eyes are a complete replica."

"They are," I confirmed as I poured myself a cup of dark coffee, "they have a very similar temperament too."