Chapter 22 - From hell and back

Warnings: Dipper getting hurt, coughing up blood

I groaned as I awoke only three hours after I had fallen asleep to the sound of Persephone's cries... again. Now, don't get me wrong, I already adored my goddaughter, but going through the stages of grief with a baby on your hip and a curious eight-year-old who craves adventure. Still, I forced myself out of bed, only to fall to my knees as pain suddenly forced its way throughout my entire body despite the fact that I had a cane. Obviously, the pain was due to the wound in my side, my fall and the ritual from yesterday. I gasped as another spike of pain rushed through my body before I began coughing, hacking up blood onto the floor as I struggled to get up off the floor. Once I was finally able to stand, and my coughing subsided, I wiped my mouth and walked out of Bill's room, heading to the nursery to comfort the baby. Perseus, the heavy sleeper he was, thankfully continued to sleep as I leaned my cane against the cot and hoisted the younger northwest into my arms, moving to change her. I checked her temperature, sighing in relief when I noted that her fever had broken in the few hours she had slept. 

I got her dressed into a different outfit and headed downstairs leaning on my cane as I tried to make the little girl a bottle, and feed my hedgett. Once the two had eaten, I allowed Freud to rest upon my shoulders as I headed to my room, shuffling through my closet for something. Eventually, I found it. Just like I had done for Perseus, the moment Pacifica's mother had made it known that she was carrying a child, I had begun work on a blanket for her, along with a little golden bear with dog tags around its neck as well as an army uniform on. Instead of Sherlock Holmes, however, I had themed this one with John Watson, that fabrics instead comprised of soft golds and beiges as opposed to the soft grey of Perseus' blanket. I had adorned it with four quotes, just as I had with the Holmes blanket. Unfortunately, it was rather hard to find any decent quotes from the books, and so I settled with the following; '"They say genius is an infinite capacity for taking pains," He remarked with a smile. "It's a very bad definition, but it does apply to detective work."',  'I will solve your murder, but John Watson will save your life', 'he's clueing for looks' and 'Captain John Watson of the fifth Northumberland Fusiliers.' John Watson is severely underrated, in my opinion.

I tucked my cane under my arm as I wrapped the soft blanket around the still crying girl, and by some sort of miracle, she settled down and relaxed in my arms, deciding that she would finally rest for a while. I sighed, suddenly drawing in a pained gasp as pain sparked through my side. I sat on my bed, desperately biting at my lower lip to prevent me from crying out. It was only once the pain had passed or rather had subsided to become a dull throb, did I resume my standing position and walk back to the nursery, placing the young girl in her crib once more. Despite the pain, I made my way back downstairs to find William still asleep on the couch. To be fair, it was only around 7 am, so I didn't see any harm in it. I made my way to the gift shop, my mind suddenly beginning to scream at me as I got to my knees and picked up the book Ford had allowed me to find. I debated whether or not I should just recite the regular incantation, or recite the one that seemed most likely to work.

I took a breath, choosing to recite the latter despite the pain I knew I would endure because of it. "Once Bill is home, it will be worth it," I whispered to myself as I prepared myself, clearing my throat before beginning to recite the new spell, Freud jumping off my shoulders and scurrying off. Just as it had yesterday, my body began to tingle, before it turned to pain as I continued the incantation, just managing to finish reciting it before a pained scream emitted from my throat. Obviously, I started William awake, as well as the two children. Will rushed over to me as I collapsed upon the ground. I was writhing in pain, my body feeling like it was on fire, but I was also too cold. The pain was absolutely excruciating, unlike anything I had ever felt before. I barely registered it when William picked me up and tried to calm me down, but I knew I had said something when he set me down on the couch and rushed off upstairs.