"Don't get me started," I sighed, shaking my head. 

"Carter?" she deadpanned.

"His name is like Voldemort's. I shudder at the sound of it."

She snorted with laughter, rolling her eyes.

Speak of the Devil and thus he appears. Carter rounded the corner, his arm slung around an unfamiliar brunette's shoulders, laughing at something she said. His hair was extra floppy today, falling messily onto his forehead. His lips were tilted up into his usual smirk and he walked, confidence oozing from him. The too-bright sun shone down on him. He made it look like he was in a music video, whereas I felt flustered and gross. I let out a puff of air, as if that would somehow cool me down.

He nodded at me in greeting and I flipped him off in return. A couple of witness' around us chuckled and I turned, gritting my teeth. "Aiden, let's go."

"Okay," he said, catching onto my tone.

Mercedes had already taken an exit route to her class. Aiden slipped his hand into mine and my nails bit viciously into his hand. He winced, but I couldn't slack my hold. Not when he was in my vicinity. I tugged on his hand and dragged him after me. 

Once away from him, I let out a breath, letting go of Aiden's hand. I felt his gaze on me as I began pacing, flexing my fingers back and forth.

"This thing you have with Carter... it's very unhealthy. Why don't you guys attempt to salvage your friendship? You hate to admit it, but I know he still means a lot to you. You were best friends for forever."

"Really? Were we?" I snapped rudely, my anger sizzling. "I hadn't realised that. And no, we cannot 'salvage' our friendship."

"Okay..." he trailed off, visibly biting his tongue. "Whatever you say."

I stopped, my breathing heavy. "Look, I'll see you later. I'm going to class early."

With that, I stalked off towards my locker to get the books I needed. I know Aiden was just trying to help, but I couldn't force myself to be polite when I was like this. I grabbed my books, yanking them out and slamming my door shut.

I turned and came face-to-chest, with the one and only, Carter Williams. I exhaled heavily, looking up at him. "What do you want?"

"Just wondering if you're okay," he said. Although his words were kind, his tone was implying that he didn't really care, he was just trying to stir me up more. He was successful. "You didn't seem the happiest when I saw you this morning."

"Carter, you and your fake sympathy can kiss my a-" I was interrupted when the bell buzzed loudly, cutting me off.

He smirked, obviously enjoying my response. I elbowed him out of the way and marched to my classroom, fuming.

I just needed to get through the day, without getting suspended for inflicting pain on other students, or myself.

***

The rest of my school day cruised by uneventfully. There weren't really any more Carter incidents, if you don't count me stomping on his foot when he put his arm around me at the canteen line. He, better than anyone, should know not get in between me and my food.

I was striding towards my car, before my hand was swallowed by someone else's. They tugged me back and with a gasp, I staggered. I clenched my fist, positioning myself to launch as I was spun around on my heel. Fortunately, to where Aiden was grinning at me, so my violence wasn't needed.