"Kim here." He spoke in Korean. "I trust that Herr Gisler has informed you of the current situation? The applications have not been approved yet. But I have managed to get agreement that you can all travel to Seoul and remain there whilst the process is completing. This will satisfy our Swiss friends, who are becoming increasingly nervous about the North Korea threat."

"How does that work?" asked Jeong-hyeok puzzled.

"If you travel to Seoul, you must understand that there is no guarantee that the applications will be approved, and you must agree to report regularly to the security services," answered the Director.

"Will we be held in custody?" much as he wanted to escape this hotel room, he didn't want to swap one prison for another.

"No, you will be able to stay with Seri, or her parents. But they will have to guarantee your compliance with the terms. If your applications are refused, you will have to leave the country. Do you accept this proposal?"

Jeong-hyeok, Seri and Yoon-he looked at each other.

"We will all be safer if we go," said Seri.

"Yes," said Jeong-hyeok. "There is a risk in leaving Switzerland though. If our applications are refused, I don't know where else we would go. But I think we should do it. What do you think mother?"

"Yes, I think we should go too," said Yoon-he.

"Director Kim," said Seri. "We do agree."

"I will make the arrangements," said the Director. "Seri, I presume you are happy to pay for private air travel? I think it would be more discreet and secure than a commercial flight."

"Yes of course, whatever it takes. Don't worry about the cost. I'm happy to pay." Seri was beginning to feel more hopeful again, and at least money would be no barrier to them.

"Good. Is Herr Gisler still there?" Kim asked. "Could you put him on please?"

Seri passed the phone to Herr Gisler and they heard Kim promising to send him all the flight details. Then he rang off.

"So," said Herr Gisler. "As soon as I have details of the flight from Director Kim, I will arrange your safe passage to the airport. It should be in the next 24 hours. Quicker, if we can arrange it."

"Thank you, Herr Gisler," said Jeong-hyeok.

The man nodded. "Please be ready. One small bag only please. We can't be held up by loading lots of bags. One small bag of essentials only, for each of you. I will arrange other luggage to be sent separately. Good day." And he left them.

The three of them looked at each other. At last something was happening. Yoon-he stood up. "Well, I suppose we should make a start on packing," she said and headed towards her room.

Jeong-hyeok hugged Seri. "I'm glad we are leaving," he said. "All the waiting has been getting to me."

"Me too. I wonder if father's efforts have helped us. It must be pretty unusual to grant permission to travel like this."

Jeong-hyeok nodded. "Yes I think so too. But this could be a really dangerous moment. I'm glad Swiss security will be there, but Kang Sung-ho's men are professionals, we need to be on our guard."

"I know. I'm desperate to get home, but I shan't feel relaxed until we are in the plane."

A sober and serious look shadowed Jeong-hyeok's face. "I may still have to leave if I don't get permission." Travelling to Seoul was only the start. They needed to remember that. He looked uncertain. "I don't know where else we can go."

She hugged him. "Don't. Let's hope we don't have to face that. We should just face one step at a time."

He nodded his agreement. Nothing was to be gained by speculating what might happen. He must keep his focus on the present.

"So, what bags do we have?" said Seri brightly. "Let's go and choose what we are going to use. I'll go and check if your mother has a small bag that's suitable."

Seri knocked on Yoon-he's door, heard a rather muffled Come in, and entered. Yoon-he was sitting on her bed with her suitcases in front of her and the wardrobe door open. She was crying.

"Oh, what's the matter?" cried Seri. "Can I help?"

Yoon-he tried to dry her eyes and nose a little. After a few minutes, she managed to speak.

"I don't know what to pack. This is all I have in the world." She gestured to the bags. "It was so hard to choose what to leave behind when I left home. Now I just don't know what I can leave here."

Seri went over and sat next to her.

"It's ok," she said, taking her hand. "You don't have to choose. I'll go and get my bag and you put as many of your things in it as you need."

"But what about your things?" protested Yoon-he.

Seri shook her head. "You and Jeong-hyeok have given up so much. It's not fair. I get to keep everything in my world and gain Jeong-hyeok too. It should be me who has to choose, not you."

"Are you sure?" said Yoon-he and Seri nodded. "Thank you my dear, that is kind." They sat together for a little longer until Yoon-he felt able to start packing, Seri promising to come back and help.

In the end, Jeong-hyeok also gave up some space to his mother. Seri insisted on leaving all her things behind except her wedding dress, jewellery and laptop. It hurt Jeong-hyeok to leave some of his things and he wondered if he would see them again. But he was disciplined with himself and only packed those things most precious to him. The rest of their luggage they packed, ready for shipping separately.

Once they had finished, there was nothing to do but wait. There had been no further word from Director Kim or Herr Gisler, so they didn't know if they would be leaving that day or the next. Jeong-hyeok hoped it would be soon. Since Kang Sung-ho now knew where they were, he felt their situation was even more precarious. He had insisted on blocking the door to the suite in case someone tried to force entry. He also pulled the curtains across the window to make sure they couldn't be seen. Whenever he heard voices or another noise outside in the corridor, his heart beat faster, adrenaline surging through him, ready to respond. Then all would go quiet again and he would eventually breathe a little easier.

At 6pm that evening, they did get a call from Herr Gisler - departure from their hotel would be at 11.30 that night. He didn't say how, but at least they had a time to work to. They ordered room service and tried to eat, but none of them seemed to be able to swallow the food. The constant watching of the clock, waiting for it to edge closer to 11.30, felt like torture. Their departure from the hotel would be risky, but none of them could bear the waiting to last any longer. Bit by bit 11.30pm grew closer.