Together Again

Switzerland

Switzerland

Ri Jeong-hyeok lay in bed, thinking back over the last few days since his arrival. His journey had gone smoothly, which was always a relief. Leaving North Korea, even for a short holiday, was never routine and he never took it for granted. But he had arrived as planned for the festival performance that gave him his excuse for visiting Switzerland. As usual he and Seri had been polite with each other in public, whilst waiting desperately for the time they could be alone together. However, this time waiting had been especially difficult. He had felt so strained by the previous few months with his father's illness and death, that he had desperately needed Seri to hold and comfort him. He had suppressed his own feelings so that he could be strong and support his mother, but had craved the chance to be comforted in turn. When she was so close and that comfort so near, it had been hard to behave with detachment. Finally, they had both slipped away to their hotel suite and she had enfolded him in her arms. She had understood his feelings, had encouraged him to open up to her and soothed his pain. He loved her even more now, though he wouldn't have thought that was possible. They were so much more than lovers.

Moving carefully so as not to disturb her, he rolled onto his side so he could watch her as she slept. More light was coming through the window blinds, and he could tell by the early brightness that it was going to be sunny again. Another perfect day to look forward to. Yesterday they had driven up into the mountains and taken the funicular railway until they were high above the valley. There they could walk and talk in peace, enjoying the beauty of the wild flowers opening up in the sunshine. Butterflies had danced amongst the flowers, and they had picked their way across the grassy slopes and rocky paths. He loved this country, and being here with Seri was heavenly.

As she slept, her long, silky hair had fallen across her face. He ached to stroke it away and to kiss her, but held back. There would be time for that. He watched her as her face gradually grew lighter as the sun grew stronger. His eyes traced the delicate features that he loved so much. Eventually he blew very softly across her cheek. Maybe that would be enough to stir her? It was. She started to move a little and her eyes fluttered open. As their eyes met she smiled - happily, sleepily.

"Hello," he said, and he gave her a light kiss on the forehead.

"Hello." She smiled back at him. "Have you been awake long?"

"Not too long, I've just been lying here watching it get lighter. I think it will be another beautiful day."

"Oh good," she said yawning a little with a contented laziness. She moved into his arms; he held her close.

"You look so beautiful when you're sleeping. I love watching you."

"You mean I'm not beautiful at other times?" Her tone was playful, teasing him.

"You know what I mean. You're always beautiful." He softly kissed her forehead again and she tilted her head so she could kiss him back before snuggling back into his arms.