Chapter 24

Everything hurt badly.

John couldn't even hear his thoughts anymore from the strong pulsating pain throughout his body.

He felt like his whole head was wrapped into gauze and his whole body felt tingly.

But it wasn't a pleasant kind of tingly. It was numbing whenever he wasn't touching anything and yet, whenever something touched his limbs, pain would spread.

He was crying almost all the time, he wanted the pain to stop. He wanted his head to stop feeling like it was full of heavy rocks.

But most of all, he wanted his auntie Mimi and his beautiful boyfriend Paul to be happy and not having to worry so much for him.

Warm, not too hot though, broth trickled down his throat. Some of it managed to trickle down his chin, dampening the napkin tied as a bib to his neck.

His heavy tired eyes posed onto Mimi's face, who was spooning him the warm soup. She looked so tired.

Her once fiery eyes were now looking so tired. She was pale with dark bags under her eyes.

She was so drained from all energy. And yet, there she was, taking care of him just like he was a baby all over again.

Sadness filled him immediately. With a small noise, he turned his head away from the spoon, looking at her with sad eyes.

"You don't want it anymore, Johnny? You know soup can soothe your tummy and helps you make a poop" she said gently, spooning a bit more of soup into the item.

John groaned at his aunt's choice of words, but shook his head anyway.

He lifted a hand towards her face, trembling, "Tired" he simply said.

He was so weak he couldn't even speak aside for broken words and small noises.

Everything hurt even with those short communications.

"Oh, you're tired? Do you want me to read you a bedtime story?" here she was again, fussing over him.

John shook his head, not without difficulties, pointing at her, "You're tired" he said, explaining.

Mimi sighed, "A bit. But it's not a problem, I'd gladly help you back to health" she said with a sweet smile.

John's brows furrowed imperceptibly, "Sleep. I'm fine"

"No, love. But you're a good boy, concerned about your auntie. But I'm alright and I love to take care of you, alright?" she asked. When he nodded, albeit reluctantly, she smiled even more, starting feeding him again.

In the end, he managed to eat almost the whole bowl, even if he was now feeling very sluggish.

"Alright, now you can sleep" smiled Linda, bandaging his arm so he wouldn't be able to rip the needle out if he moved during sleep.

John sluggishly moved, hands fisted near his head as he felt more and more sleepy.

His whole body was hurting way too much, he knew he could escape the pain only by a deep sleep, hoping to not feel it during sleep too.

Mimi gently tucked the cover tightly around John's body, so he would be comfy and cozy.

She smiled, leaning down to kiss him, making him sigh in his sleep through his nose.

Her mind took her back to what he told her, that he knew she was tired.

But Mimi wasn't, not really. She was worried, sure, but not so tired. Her love for him was enough to keep her going.