Chapter 19

John's body was limp in Mimi's arms.

He had a scary fit, that had consisted in some serious self harm by bumping very hard his head onto the wall.

He had started being more and more frustrated since the aches and pains in his body were growing.

Mimi had been concerned and had called the doctor, who assured her it was normal John was feeling like the medicines weren't giving him any comfort and he was getting worse instead of better.

"John, relax" whispered the woman, laying him down onto the sofa and covering him up with a large blanket.

The boy's body was tense, fists clenched and expression blank.

His auburn hair was completely messy after his head had been banging towards the wall. His eyes were bloodshot by crying, his skin pale and clammy, his body shivering constantly.

The boy winced as the back of his tender head hit the pillow and his huge eyes posed on Mimi's face. The woman sighed, tenderly brushing back the sweaty hair to kiss his forehead.

"It's alright"

John shook his head, a whine ripping out from him.

At that moment, he felt as helpless and vulnerable as a newborn.

Like everything could kill him.

His whole body was screaming in soaring pain and he just couldn't relax his muscles without feeling pins and needles in them.

He had woken up again with a very full nappy and the thing had sent him into a deep upheaval.

Wetting himself during the night was one thing; messing himself was another.

That was the cause of why he was so upset. He had tried to hurt himself, not even thinking straight about it.

He just wanted to feel something aside from that numbing pain.

"Mimi, I don't want to die, I don't want to die, I'm scared" his tone was growing in pitch, his chest spasming.

He was having a difficult time breathing.

Paul, with the doctor's consent, had to increase the dose of pills for John.

After the diagnosis, he was struggling even worse with his mental health, so Paul, even if with a broken heart, had to increase them to lessen the chance of him suiciding.

Mimi knew the protocol by now. She leaned down and gathered John in her lap, also covering with the blanket.

She started rocking back and forth, letting John curl in her arms.

A hand posed over his forehead. Warmer than before.

An alarm rang in her head, since John was quite warm.

He whined as she sneaked the cold thermometer under his arm, feeling the coldness tingling his skin.

Mimi saw the temperature; it was 38° degrees Celsius. High, but not to worry too much.

The doctor had told her to call her only if the temperature had reached 39° or 39,5° degrees.

John was getting more and more unfocused, eyes glassy, body spasming sometimes into Mimi's arms.

The woman was still holding him tightly against her body, not wanting him to hurt himself.

"Auntie, I don't want to die" he mumbled, eyes unfocused and breath laboured. His body was curled up and shivers were ranking it terribly.