With a grateful, albeit a little reluctant, smile she walked upstairs.

She was a bit disappointed in herself. Back in the day, she would have taken care of John completely alone for the whole night, only to go to work afterwards.

Now, instead, she couldn't help but fall asleep as soon as she walked into her bedroom and in her own bed, after passing the whole night awake by John's cot, taking care of his needs and only dozing off sometimes for short periods.

Paul entered the bedroom quietly closing he door behind himself and toing off his shoes.

John was in bed, or at least Paul thought he was, the only visible thing was a tuff of auburn hair poking out from the top of the duvet.

He tiptoed close to the bed, inching lower the cover and smiling as John's feverish face came into view.

He looked so soft, hair mussed from sleep and the tip of his thumb in his mouth. He was laying belly down, the pillow half under his body and hugged to his chest.

Paul had to restrain himself from cooing out loud and scoop John up into his arms.

He didn't want to wake him up, but he couldn't wait to give him his gift.

"John love, wake up, sweetie" he whispered lovingly in his ear, gently shaking him awake.

He groaned, but actually opened his eyes, grimacing slightly as light filtered in them.

After a bit of blinking, though, his face broke into a wide grin at seeing who was there.

"Paul! I'm so happy to see you!" he said with a loving smile and Paul cooed, leaning down to press a kiss onto his dry lips.

John beamed, melting in the kiss and taking his arms out from under the covers, hugging Paul's neck and slightly sitting up.

"What have you got with you?"

John was curiously peering into his hands, seeing the box and Paul smiled like a Cheshire cat, passing him the box.

"It's an early Christmas present. Or a late birthday present, see it as you want" he sat more closer to John on the bed, looking at him with loving eyes as John started analysing and turning around the package.

It was as big as a shoe box, with a few holes cut on top.

He tried to open it, when suddenly...

"You got me a cat?!" he screamed, looking incredulously at his boyfriend.

Paul laughed, holding up his arm, "Yeah, you've told me cats are your favourite animals and I've decided to get you one"

"Oh, you remembered" John's voice was tight in his throat.

Aside for his auntie and uncle, and a few other aunties, no one had ever gave him any Christmas present.

Or better, his best friends, Stuart and Cynthia, actually got him something, and he always got something for them too, every year, but never a kitty!

"Of course I remembered, you silly. I remember everything, y'know?" Paul laughed as John threw himself on him, hugging him tightly and pressing soft kisses on his cheeks.

He then delicately picked the kitty out of the box, holding it close to his chest and softly scratching behind its ear, making it pur.

"His name will be Elvis Holly" he declared with a smile and Paul chuckled, "Like the great Elvis and the great Buddy"

"Of course, who else?" grinned John, now holding up the kitten so he could peer into his face.

He was grey, with a few black stripes and his belly was white.

He was purring happily, rolling in the soft sheets of the bed when John put him on top of them.

"Thanks Paul, this was the best late birthday, early Christmas present I ever got. I promise I will take great care of him" he said with a smile so big and happy that it made Paul's heart skip a beat.

"I'm happy you like it"

They smiled at each other, leaning down to kiss softly, one of Paul's hands rooming around his soft cheek while John's arms had looped around his neck.

They only broke the kiss when the kitty began to meowl and paw at John's chest with his paw and John laughed, picking him up and cuddling him.

Mimi was deeply surprised by the present, but was fine as long as John was gonna take care of him, which John swore he was going to.

She had to leave for work, and after some slightly emotional reaction from John, his fever was still messing up with him, making him even more needy and clingy, she went away, leaving the two boyfriends alone.

At some point, a blonde girl with a sweet smile and sweet eyes came visiting John.

Her name was Cynthia, she was a classmate of John back at school and she was quite happy to meet Paul, happy to know her friend had finally found love.

Paul found Cynthia incredibly kind and sweet, especially in the way she was smiling and talking with John.

When she went away, John confided how Cynthia was basically one of the few who didn't bully John for his issues, but was quite helpful whenever he needed some help with assignments.

Paul was incredibly happy to hear this, knowing how lonely and out of place John felt throughout school.

They passed the afternoon cuddled up on the sofa watching TV together and cuddling.

John was still feverish, so he was very clingy, refusing to let go of Paul even for one second, which was fine for the older boy, who lived to hold John against him, fitting like a puzzle piece.

He would brush his still slightly wet hair, making him hum in delight, Elvis sleeping on top of the blanket that was covering the two of them.

It was a very lovely day. And Paul, Paul hoped he could spend the rest of his days just like that.