11. social etiquette

Third-person pov

Rose followed behind the four girls who were running in front of her. A small smile on her lips as she watched them laugh with pure glee.

"Doesn't it just feed your heart when the air's so crisp? Every breath feels so alive!" Anne exclaimed.

"It's the perfect day for a tragical romance" they looked at each other with wide smiles.

"Lord Tennyson would approve" Diana and Anne laughed as they kept running ahead.

The girls giggled every step of the way to a small clearing. An old boat laid in the calm waters.

Different colors of autumn leaves spread across the grass.

All the girls stood around it with Rose watching from a little farther behind.

"Whomever plays Elaine must lie in the flat and float to Camelot while the others mourn her death most sorrowfully" Anne spoke with passion in every word she said.

"I find it helpful to think of something that makes you sad in your own life"

"Of course you must be Elaine, Anne" Diana suggested.

"Oh, it would be ridiculous to have a redheaded Elaine. It ought to be Ruby, as she has lovely golden hair and Elaine had all her bright hair streaming down" Rose looked at them with a small smile.

She missed spending time with them. After her parent's death, she had become sort of depressed in a way.

"Oh, I couldn't. To lie and pretend I was dead, I'd die of fright" Rudy denied.

"This was your idea, Anne"

"You're obsessed with Elaine," Jane said.

"Oh, it's true. And each time I read the poem I'm devoured by a secret regret that I was not born in Camelot. Those days were much more romantic than the present" Anne stopped for a few seconds.

"I will be Elaine then!" She exclaimed. The girls all erupted in a fit giggle.

"Ruby, you must be king Arthur"

"Jane, Guinevere, and Diana must be Lancelot" Rose watched them silently sitting on a log.

Her hands were folded on her lap as she watched their every move. {Is that creepy?}

Anne laid in the old boat as Jane handed her some dried leaves and flowers.

Her eyes were closed and her fiery red braids were placed on her shoulders.

"She does really look dead. My mother says that all play-acting is abominably wicked" Ruby quietly whispered to Diana.

"Ruby, you shouldn't mention your mother, it spoils the effect because this was hundreds of years before your mother was born," Anne said, still without opening her eyes.

Diana sat down next to the boat.

"We must kiss her quiet brows," Jane said from behind her.

Diana placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"Sister... farewell forever"

The girls gathered around the boat.

"Now she's ready" Jane said.

"Farewell, Elaine the lovable!" As they were about to push the boat a voice roared from behind them.

Mrs. Barry came rushing. Rose stood up to try and calm her when she saw the look of pure anger on her face.

"Diana!" Elizabeth called.

"Mother?" Diana said in confusion.

"Child, come out of there at once" Elizabeth ordered Anne. Anne quickly jumped out of the boat.