7: a Girl can Dream

The thundering of heavy footsteps on wooden planks all around Mara awoke her from sleep with a start. Her eyes darted around the cabin looking for Ciaran.

In their apartment he would always thunder about when she was sleeping, a constant reminder that he had the power over her and that she was vulnerable to him. Finally, Mara realised that this was not their apartment.

All the memories of the days hit Mara and she jolted upwards from the bed. True to his word, Bayen had not slept on the floor or in the room at all and Mara immediately felt relief.

Throwing back the covers, Mara stood from the bed and tugged the ends of the large shirt further down her legs. Even though she was alone in the room and the only window was covered she still felt the need to be covered. With still exposed legs, she wandered over to the chest where Bayen had fetched her last outfit.

He promised her that she could take any clothes from the chest and that he wouldn't mind. As she rifled through the garments Mara couldn't help but wonder why the Captain of a ship that only housed men had a chest full of women's clothes.

Then she remembered Bas' warnings about the Bayen's past and it clouding his judgement and she decided to leave that thread. Whatever the reason was, she imagined it wouldn't be good.

Someone began tapping at the door causing Mara to jump and squeak.

"I uhhh- can't open the door right now!" She called out as she threw the clothes she was yet to pull on upon the bed.

"Why not?" Bas' voice growled harshly through the wood of the door. "What are you doing, Mara?" His voice was snarling with threat and it made Mara's blood boil.

"Because I'm not dressed!"

Silence ensued behind the door as Bas winced at his clumsy paranoia. He anxiously pressed a palm to his cheeks and he was convinced he was flushed with embarrassment.

He swallowed hard and groaned in frustration as he let his head thud against the wall, he had to get Zinnia out of his head. It wasn't healthy to have so much judgment and revenge in his blood.

After a few moments the door was flung opened and a flustered, pissed off Mara stuck her head out of the door.

"Yes?" She spat out like a hissing serpent as she glared at him in such a way he was convinced his knees would give out.

"Captain told me to take you outside so that the men can see you."

"Oh joy," she huffed sarcastically, "and do I have a choice about being stared at like a freak show?"

"I'm afraid not." Bastian crossed his hands behind his back and began to rock on his heels. It was taking every distraction in his brain not to look down at Mara with focussed eyes.

"Fine." She huffed at him again before slamming the door in his face again.

Bastian winced again, that woman had a fire in her belly. He didn't know why he had to watch over her around the men, he was convinced that the dagger tongued woman could hold her own against any number of men.

Once again the door opened and a flushed Mara stepped out. After a clenching of the jaw, Bastian felt strong enough to spare a glance in the vehement brunette.

It only took him a second before his jaw was clenching again as he swallowed hard, the first two straps of Mara's corset had not been done up through error and her breast were heaving before his eyes.

Lord give me strength.

"Mara," he cleared his throat and quickly averted his gaze to the clear blue sky, "your uhhh, your top is not fully done up."

"Oh, damn." She cursed as she quickly began to lace up the corset, not caring to turn her back before Bas' uncomfortable gaze. It was as if she enjoyed goading him with her tempting attractiveness.

"Ready?" He gritted out through clenched teeth as he already began to walk away. Mara clenched at her hips as she followed after him with nerves and hunger clutching at her stomach.

Right before the pair turned the corner where the men were waiting Bas halted his footfalls and turned to face Mara.

"You don't need to worry Mara, I won't let them do or say anything to you and if you would like to leave, please just tell me."

"What's all this?" Mara wheedled as she looked up at him, "Where have all your threats and mistrust surrounding me gone?"

"Well..." Bastian swallowed hard before continuing to speak, "I fear I may have been a little too harsh in my judgements of you."

"Just a little?" She countered swiftly, pulling down the corner of her dress to reveal the angry bruise on her shoulder.

Bas groaned in discomfort, not entirely from the sight of the marks he inflicted on her fragile skin, but also because of the tempting, soft complexion of her flesh. She was truly delightful to his gaze, even if he wanted to tear his hair out for thinking of her.

She could not be trusted, he had met her only days ago and the captain's infatuation with her left him with the duty to keep a watchful gaze. That didn't mean staring at her chest and he knew it.

"I am truly sorry for your shoulder, Mara, that was unjust of me and unnecessary."

"Eh it's fine." She gave him a sweet grin, "I'll get you back soon."

"What?" Bas coughed out, his footsteps stumbling once again.

"I sincerely doubt you could inflict any sort of pain on me."

Mara clamped her mouth shut as she attempted to stifle her laugh. These simpering men really did think that she was totally helpless, her fists ached to teach him a lesson but instead she let her cheeks flush as she battered her eyelids up at him.

"Well, a girl can dream, can't she?"