Apartment Hunting (6)

(Darren Up Top)

It's been a week since I started my job and it's easier than I thought it would be. There's a routine, which makes it that much easier. The best part is that I haven't gotten a complaint yet from Landon, Megan says that rarely ever happens. Every day I would spend my lunches with Isabella and her friends. Which includes Samantha, who works in human resources. Daniel, a chief editor, and lastly Veronica a Sales Rep.

They're a broad spectrum, Isabella wears killer heels and classy dresses and Samantha wears her grandmother's pearls, paired with lace shirts. Daniel is that likable nerd everybody knows, wearing Hugo Boss almost every day. Veronica is anything but simple, her short pixie cut hair is dyed three different colors and she has sleeve tattoos. Typical badass. This all equals up to a hilarious lunch break. Filled with sexual innuendos, blushing, and threats of leaving the table. I was afraid that I wouldn't make any friends, but now I could say I have my own group. For the first few days I didn't say much and if I did nearly every word was stuttered. Now I actually talk, really can't shut up either and I barely even stutter anymore. That is progress if I've ever seen it before.

I've decided that it's time to look for my own small place. I have a stable job now, school is going really well, having finished assignments weeks ahead of time during bus rides and the few hours after work. Derek hasn't really told me to leave yet, but I know he's going to soon. I'm getting paid a good twenty-five dollars an hour so I can afford a semi-decent apartment. I do want a two bedroom apartment so I can have a separate room for my studio. Eventually, I'll be able to actually do non-school related pieces. For now, though, I'm limited.

I get my first paycheck this Friday, hopefully, it will be able to cover my first month's rent. If not, I'll put out an ad for a roommate. Sure I'd prefer if Derek was my roommate, damn I'd prefer not to have one at all.

Hopping off the bus I walk towards the art building, hoping to finish a major project due in two weeks. It's a clay sculpture of a man's torso. Right now, I only need to finish a portion of his back. After that, I will fire it and simply clear glaze it to give it a shiny appearance. Like the man is damp with sweat. Walking into the studio, I see the same man from last week still hunched over his clay. Though now it's transformed into a tree trunk the length of an arm.

As if feeling my gaze, his eyes lift to my own and he smiles at me. "Well hello, Kendall. Nice to see you again, I was wondering when you would swing by here." Holden says, clearing off space for me beside him.

"H-hi..." I mumble before rushing off to the storage area of the studio where my piece is. After lifting the hefty piece of work across the room I am panting. I really am out of shape.

"What are you working on today?" Holden asks, not removing his eyes from his own artwork.

"A man's torso, w-which is kind of twisting," I whisper as I finish setting up my workplace.

"That's awesome, man. Is it just for fun or is it for a class?" He asks once again. Obviously, he wants to continue talking while working. Something that I'm not used to. I prefer silence while I work, it helps me concentrate and understand things more easily. Holden seems nice enough though, and I don't want to appear rude.

"It's for a c-class. How about you? I know that it's a t-tree trunk but, is it f-f-for a class or purely for enjoyment?" I mumble. Smoothing out a chunk I just added to the back.

"Enjoyment, I'm on my third year, I'm actually considering donating this piece to the school." He says, blowing his hair out of his eyes for at least the twentieth time since I've gotten here.

"Oh, th-that's nice. " I say while directing a smile at him.

For the next hour, we silently work together. Sometimes he would ask me for a hand and same for me. In no time it is nearly time for me to get going to my film class so I do the last survey of my work. Luckily, I was able to finish the last piece so now all I have to do is let it air dry for the next two weeks then fire it. I've never really been a procrastinator. I think that's because my parents have always forced me into finishing assignments months before they were actually due. Meaning that I would have to ask for the assignments from the teachers. Making the students call me a teacher's pet and brown noser.

I quickly clean up my workplace and position my finished piece on a drying shelf away from any potential danger.

"Goodbye Kendall, I'll see you later!" Holden calls out from the supply closet near the door as I'm just about to exit the studio.

"Bye," I say softly before dashing out the door and down the corridor to the media wing. I enter the lecture hall five minutes early.

-----

Reaching the office building, I do a once over of myself like I've been doing for the past week. I've already looked over Landon's schedule so I know that it will be a hectic day. He has two board meetings, one here then one via Skype. Later in the day, he has several conference calls that are apparently really important for this one account. Lastly, there's a pile of transcripts and all that stuff on my desk awaiting his approval. He runs a tight ship, apparently much stricter than his father. Such father hasn't made his appearance yet. Isabella tells me that he's going through health issues and that it's speeding up the process of Landon taking his position of CEO. I don't know how serious such problems are, but hopefully, it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Reaching the top floor without any issues, I make my way towards my desk. Apart from Landon and I, there are only two other people who have offices on this floor. Darren Shooter, the president of the company, who is a grown-up child. He's always sneaking up on me in the kitchenette trying to make me squeal. He always succeeds. Then there's Jack Monroe, the vice president. He's more mellow than the president, but he is very witty and always has to have the last word.

They are apparently Landon's best friends apart from Marcus. I don't know how somebody cold and calculated like Landon could have such kind and light-hearted friends. After getting settled, I go into the kitchenette and start Landon's coffee. Seeing as he only likes the fresh stuff. I also put two donuts on the plate since I know that this will be a long day for Landon. Once the coffee is ready I set off for his office, slightly knocking on the door before entering.

As usual, the room is cast in darkness. I'm too afraid to ask him why he hates the light. Maybe he's a vampire or something.

The only acknowledgment I get is a slight head tilt seeing as he's on the phone. Over the last week I've noticed that this man barely goes home, According to Megan, he usually leaves the office near midnight. Landon must be so lonely, staying here all night.

On multiple occasions, I've asked if he wanted me to stay with him for a couple of hours, but every time he would deny it.

Once I get to my office I take out the city's local paper and open it up to the realtors' section.

"Kendall, I was wondering if you could photocopy these for me. About thirty. What's that in your hand? You know, only old men read the paper." Darren says as he approaches. Every once in a while, I do a few small favors for both men. Sure it's not my job but they are my superiors, plus they have killer puppy dog eyes.

"Of course, just set them where you usually do. I'm looking for an apartment, I've been sleeping on my best friends couch for the last month. I need to get my own place. . . I've seen him naked far too many times." I say with a chuckle, still scanning for a nice affordable apartment.

"Who have you seen naked too many times Mr. Wilkinson?" Landon says as he walks over.

Oh. Of course, he only hears that part of the conversation.