Katie

"Please dad, it's only for the night and I'll answer all your phone calls."

Looking up at my father with big, blinking puppy eyes I desperately try to convince my father to let me go out with my friends for the night. Most might think that this would not be a difficult task, but those people haven't met my father.

"You're just going to Grace's, right?" He muses as he leans back in the chair. I nod my head eagerly before shifting closer to him on the sofa. Resting my head on his shoulder I sigh deeply and mournfully, the last thing I need to do before getting my way.

"Well..." he gently wraps an arm around me and pulls me into his chest, "as long as you stay at her house and you answer all calls and texts from me, do you agree?"

"Yes, yes, thank you." I squeal as I squeeze him tight making him groan slightly in surprise before chuckling.

"You know it's just because I love you, right Katie."

"I know." I smile before standing up and skipping towards the kitchen.

"Careful!" My dad exclaims from the other room. I roll my eyes but keep my mouth tightly closed.

One might think that this over exacerbated level of protection would have petered off the older I got, but nope. I'm 18 now and I'm fairly certain that my father is more protective of me now than when I was 10. It appears the threat of boys and relationships has set his protective settings to 1000%.

Sighing, I pull out my phone and text Grace that I can make it tonight before pouring myself a glass of water.

Before I am allowed to leave, my father pulls me into his arms and holds me tightly to his chest, so tightly I'm not entirely convinced he is planning on releasing me.

"Daddd..." I squeal as he sighs heavily and kisses my forehead.

"I know monkey, but promise me you'll stay in contact."

"Yes, yes dad I promise. And please don't worry about me I will be fine."

I give him one last squeeze before pulling away from his embrace.

"I know, you have a good time." My dad opens the door for me and watches me as I walk up the path towards my car. I can still feel his gaze even after I'm out of sight.

I often wonder whether my father would have been quite so protective, had my mother lived to support him. Unlocking my car, I sit heavily in the driver's seat and pull out my phone to tell Grace I'm on my way.

"Katie!" Grace squeals down the phone, she's clearly already tipsy. "Are you on your way?"

"Yes Grace," I laugh at my hyper friend, "I'm leaving now."

I've known her since we were 7 and her energy level has never dipped below hundred in all my years of knowing her.

"Oh, by the way, there are a few more people coming tonight than I might have said, is that ok?"

"What?" My heart is instantly in my throat and a tight weight slams onto my chest like rocks. I've never been very good with new people, especially when they are unexpected.

"Oh it's just a few more girls, I'm sorry girl they just texted and I couldn't say no."

"Oh, it's fine... don't worry." I hang up the phone and anxiously look out of the car window and back towards my house and my father. Biting my lip, I hesitate over my decision for the evening.

If I go back to my father now, he may never give me permission to leave again. It took me three days of preparation and begging before he even began to agree, I'll just have to do this. I guess if I hate it, I can always leave.