"Hey Dani?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you have any messages?"

Her cousin stopped and took time to check her own messages. "No," Dani answered in a puzzled tone. "Nothing."

Cari sighed. "I guess he must've blocked outside messaging."

"No wonder he left us with them." Dani said then went back to scanning her book.

Disgruntled, Cari also went back to scanning. The next book was about the prime powers and she was tempted to read it since she'd never heard of them. A sense of urgency though harried her on and she did her best to scan faster.

They worked for half an hour more, Dani catching her need to hurry along. There were ancient maps, tabulated rune meanings and charts of star systems in ancient times and as they were now. Some were marked with runes and words like guardian and gateway. Whatever the dragons were after, it seemed bigger than just opening the gates to Azmodea.

Did they think they could control those creatures or were they planning to just loose them out into the world? Maybe some revenge on the rest for denying them power so longer ago. Either way, dragons were too caught up in their supremacy and need for power. They had to be stopped.

"What are you doing in here?" An angry voice demanded and both Cari and Dani froze and jerked their heads to the door. A draconian woman stood there, her stance belligerent. A scowl marked her face as her lips flattened in displeasure. "Answer me!" She demanded.

Apprehensive, the two cousins gave each other side glances, both aware they were no match for the warrior who'd caught them. Especially since they were cut off from their natural abilities. How had the dragon been able to take away something so much a part of them?

At their continued silence the female at the door took a few steps closer then her nose flared as if she'd smelled something foul. "Wolves." She ground out just as scales sprouted on her skin and her uniform blended into them, somehow.

Neither of them had ever seen a dragon shift. Cari was sure no one outside of the dragon race had seen the shift in eons. The woman's blonde hair rose up as if in response to some gust if wind. It shifted through a rainbow of color so fast she thought she imagined it until it settled on an aqua green.

The dragon female gained height, her cheekbones became sharper as her mouth elongated just a bit. Her body became more streamlined, the hips wider and more muscular. Her wings unfolded and their iridescent beauty held the two captive for a moment too long.

She was on them in a blink, her claws slashing at their throats. Cari pulled back but felt the slice of one as it touched her. She was slow and the warrior caught her with a kick to the stomach even as she punched Dani in the chest.

Cari flew back with the hit to land hard on her bum. Scrambling up, she picked up a small rack and threw it at the dragon. It only served to annoy her and with her remarkable speed she rushed Cari. If only her powers hadn't been dampened, wolves were naturally faster than dragons.

She ducked just in time, picked up a poker then swung. Dani came up from behind and hit the warrior over the head with what looked like a brick. She didn't go down and turned on her cousin, her hand wrapping against Dani's throat.

With an angry war cry Cari jumped onto the back of the dragon who lifted Dani by her neck and squeezed harder. Even knowing it was futile, she punched at the dragon desperate to free her cousin from the deadly grip. Even the poker she still held failed to make much of a difference.