Chapter 20/ Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Hello, Remus," She said quietly. "Do you not have a date? You could dance with me if you'd like."

Before he could open his mouth to reply, someone beat him to it.

"Sorry, love, but Lupin here has a full dance card!" Alexander said in a cheery voice as he came to stand next to the startled Gryffindor.

"Oh, right. Okay," Katrina mumbled.

Remus watched her walk away, then turned to the blonde. "Where have you been? I thought I'd been stood up."

"Where have I been? Where have you been? I've searched the entire Great Hall for you, Remy!" Alexander said with a dramatic huff.

"You told me to meet you here at the punch!" Remus said, pointing at the table behind them that held a large glass bowl filled with Pumpkin Punch.

"No. I told you to meet me by the punch bowl on the other side of the room! I've been waiting there for near forty-five minutes!"

"Same here! And you really didn't make it clear!" Remus rolled his eyes, then stopped and furrowed his brows. "Hold up. What did you call me a second ago?"

"Don't know, what did I call you?"

"Remy."

"Oh. Yeah, suppose I did," Alexander said with pursed lips.

They were silent for several moments before the Ravenclaw boy gazed curiously at the cups of orange liquid set on the table next to them.

"You think the Prewett twins have spiked the punch yet?" He pondered.

Remus shrugged. "I don't know, but Padfoot definitely put something in it earlier."

"Brilliant!"

Alexander rushed towards the drinks, and Remus followed after him with an amused chuckle.

--------------

Sirius counted himself lucky that Wren couldn't hex him because there were too many witnesses present.

He had been following her around all evening and could tell she was nearly ready to use an Unforgivable curse on him.

He just could not ignore how stunning she looked in her green dress. 

The way her dark locks cascaded down her back added to her sassy elegance.

At one point, when Sirius had pulled her close for a quick dance, he had been startled to find that her eyes weren't black or dark brown, as he had originally thought; they were a deep purple color that mystified him.

She had shoved him away more times than he could count tonight, but in a couple of instances when he had told her a joke or said something ridiculous, he had caught the hint of an amused smirk on her lips; that had given him a surge of hope.

One day, he would make her laugh.

He could be patient.

-------------

James tried to keep his eyes away from the doors to the Great Hall, knowing that as soon as he saw Harthwood enter with Jaxson, his heart would shatter.

The other Marauders had gone off to find their respective dates, leaving James on his own.

Catching sight of Lily and Snivellus dancing a short way from him didn't cause his blood to boil as it would have only a month ago. Instead, he smiled.

As long as Evans was happy, he was happy for her.

He spotted Peter and Della staring at each other like an old married couple, so in love, it was hard to see.

Several times, Wren had rushed past him with Sirius hot on her heels.

James had laughed at that, wondering to himself if his best friend had been hexed yet.

And then, Lark and Remus could be seen chuckling together, the former's arm thrown over the latter's shoulders.

James could have sworn he saw Remus's cheeks dusted with a light pink blush.

All in all, it was a nice party; but something was missing.

Someone was missing.

And then ... there she was.

James' breath was stolen from him, and his heart nearly exploded in his chest.

But just as quickly as she had appeared, so had he.

Jaxson Blaze hooked his arm around Harthwood's waist and pulled her onto the dance floor.

Pain seared through the Gryffindor when she glanced up at the other boy and smiled sweetly.

James wished that was him holding her.