8

— Chapter Eight —

Donghyuck didn't want to leave the store. It was an assurance of safety that he suddenly came to treasure quite a lot. Unlike Mark, who was already standing at the door. He peeked through the glass and at that moment, face lit by the dim light from outside, Mark's face looked young. Still handsome but way younger. With the way he dressed and his posture, leaning against the door and almost pushing it open, he looked more like a college student, maybe one of Donghyuck's classmates than the businessman he actually was.

"Are you coming?" the man asked, turning his head. Their eyes met briefly as the embarrassment from getting caught staring settled in Donghyuck's bones. To overplay himself being flustered, Donghyuck put on a lazy smile and replied "Are we in a hurry?"

"Very much so." Mark raised an eyebrow and Donghyuck's eyes were again glued to the older man's face as he was walking over to him.

"No zombies?" he questioned but it was more of a statement. Mark confirmed it with a curt nod of his head and checked Donghyuck one last time before pushing the door open.

The fresh air hit Donghyuck's face and he shivered as his sneakers met the concrete of the pavement. Luckily his choice of shoes didn't cause too much sound on the ground or else they would be easy targets for zombies. For once Donghyuck thanked Renjun always teasing him for wearing heeled shoes so that on last Friday, Donghyuck had in fact not worn them but some old pair of sneakers.

The only sound that echoed between the tall buildings was the rustling of the plastic bag in Mark's hand. The way the man held it so uncomfortably made Donghyuck mad. It was as if Mark had never held a plastic bag before, the handles over his shoulder. With the way he carried himself, Mark almost looked like a cool movie character. Emphasis on almost as the bag just ended up hitting the man's shoulder awkwardly and therefore ruined the picture.

Donghyuck scurried a step forward, extending his hand to grab the handle of the bag. Mark turned his head, glaring down at him as he whispered "What?"

"Give me the bag." Donghyuck muttered in a low voice. Mark, rolling his eyes, took the bag off of his shoulder and handed it to Donghyuck, the latter's arm jerking down at the weight. The rustling intensified and Mark laid a finger on his chapped lips so signal Donghyuck to stay quiet. As if it wasn't obvious, Donghyuck mocked the man in his thoughts and just kept on walking, not waiting for Mark to follow. He didn't have to anyway as Mark was by his side again, only halting when another groan was heard. Donghyuck checked Mark who also looked down at him and simultaneously they realized that it hadn't been the other but someone new, presumably another zombie.

Mark pulled out the gun from his pocket, arm extended before Donghyuck's body, almost subconsciously as if to protect Donghyuck. The latter couldn't help but snicker to himself how maybe deep down Mark did actually feel some human emotions but then he didn't really get the chance to think anything more as Mark's face was suddenly a little too close to his own.

"Stay behind me," Mark ordered, seemingly not caring about their proximity. Donghyuck did though, stepping back as he whispered back "And if a zombie kills me from behind?"

Mark chuckled at that. For a small moment the sun ripped through the clouds and the fog, lightening up the scene and illuminating Mark's handsome face which displayed his usual conceited grin.

"Then you die, sunshine." he told Donghyuck who's mouth fell agape. Sunshine. Mark was obviously referring to the fact that the sun had made it's existence known for a few seconds but yet, it was the first time a name of endearment fell from Mark's lips. Even though surely it wasn't meant as one.

Donghyuck just scoffed, quietly following Mark who held the gun with both of his hands. He looked like he knew what he was doing and it had Donghyuck curious. He wanted to know more about why Mark knew how to use a gun. Was it really from his childhood? Or was there anything else that Donghyuck simply hadn't gotten to know yet. If so, he was sure he would. Mark was a mystery and Donghyuck would love to figure him out, as annoying as the man was.