3

— Chapter Three —

Donghyuck was crying. He only realised when he tasted the salt on his lips as he looked around. The hallway was dark and relatively empty, making him feel at least somewhat safe. He could hear the zombie banging against the door, the loud noise drowning out Donghyuck's sobs.

His whole body trembled and his legs gave out, causing Donghyuck to lean against and slide down the door. Feeling the vibrations of the zombie's punches against his back he cried uncontrollably, breath unsteady and eyes burning from the hot tears.

Only after what felt like hours he managed to crawl away from the door. His whole body was aching and he tasted his stomach's acids in his mouth. With a groan he got up and ran to the kitchen. A few seconds later and his stomach's contents would have painted the beautiful hardwood floor but due to Donghyuck's quick reaction his vomit ended up in the sink. It was disgusting, his throat burning and tears continued to spill from his eyes. Donghyuck doubted he had ever felt this miserable before.

Another half an hour must have passed before he finally let go of the water tap as the disgusting goo was flushed down the kitchen drain. Only now, tears dried on his cheek, Donghyuck could take a proper look at his surroundings.

The apartment was pretty empt. Whoever had been living here, if there even was anyone, they either had just moved out or moved in. There was barely any furniture and nothing personal. The only clutter laid on the kitchen counter. It was a business magazine but it was written in English, a language that Donghyuck didn't know well at all despite learning it in high school for three years.

On the wall was a huge TV which Donghyuck tried to turn on with the remote, however without any success. When he turned to the window front and looked down, his heart fell.

Had there only been one zombie on the street before, so were it now ten if not twenty. They all walked around, seemingly without destination. It was creepy though, their mere existence scared Donghyuck. These used to be people and now they were wired beings, humans but not. Since he was pretty high up, he couldn't tell what exactly they were doing. Maybe he didn't want to.

He turned away from the window and walked down the hallway he had been coming from. The zombie on the other side must have given up as Donghyuck didn't hear neither his punches nor his groans anymore. At least a little relief but it didn't lighten Donghyuck's mood. He felt as if there was a big pressure pressed down on his shoulders, making his head dizzy and body heavy.

He saw a phone and ran over to it but it too was dead. His phone wasn't but there was no signal which was weird. He was in one of the best parts of Seoul, why was the signal suddenly out here? He would understand the less fortunate districts but this one wasn't one of them. With a  frown he placed his phone back into his pocket and reached a door. It opened to show a beautiful bedroom. It was all white except for the floor which continued the apartment's theme of hardwood. Donghyuck couldn't help but feel envious of whoever was living here.

The bed was huge, king-sized and with white covers. They were tidy and if Donghyuck had taken a picture of it, it could have been easily inserted into a home decor magazine. This whole apartment actually, it all looked a little too posh, too clean for someone to be living in here.

A small hope filled Donghyuck. What if there was actually no one living here? It would make things much easier because he wouldn't have to explain to the owner how he had broken in because he had been chased by a zombie. Unless the owner of the apartment came across one of those zombies, the possibility of them believing Donghyuck was rather small so he prayed that this apartment was actually empty.

There was one more door which led to an en-suite bathroom. Just like the bedroom it was all white and Donghyuck's hopes of this place not having an owner sank as he discovered a toothbrush, deodorant and a few skincare products by the sink. He went back to the bedroom, feeling exhausted. In front of the bed was a big mirror behind which was hidden the closet. Donghyuck absolutely did not care for the privacy of the owner as he just pulled out a random pyjama and dressed into it. His dirty clothes laid on the floor, Donghyuck would take care of them later. For now he needed to rest and the big king-size was offering him just that.