Chapter 34

Naya's POV

The smell of coffee in the air wakes me up from my sleep and I turn around to cuddle into my source of happiness. I feel around for her but come up short and open my eyes.

"Baby?" I frown and look around the room. It's already daylight but the house is quiet. I slowly sit up and run my hands through my hair.

She's probably downstairs stretching or something. She started doing that again a few days ago. I'm a bit disappointed some mornings because I need my cuddles but I'm so happy that she is getting back into it. She needs to focus on her body and her dreams again. These last couple of weeks didn't go as plan and it really set her back.

So I can get over the fact that she's not here this morning.

I decide to stand up, put on one of Alex's jackets and my slippers before I make my way out the door. There is clear difference in temperature and it's nice to not shivering every morning as when I go down to my kitchen. This is way better, no wonder one of Alex's deal breakers when she thought about moving to New York was the weather. She doesn't like winter and snow so this place was perfect.

I hear some scrambling in the kitchen and walk around corner with a hopeful smile that I'd be met with my gorgeous girlfriend but it's only her mom.

"Good morning Elaine" I still smile because I love her mom.

"Good morning sweetheart. How did you sleep?" she smiles and pours me a cup of coffee as I sit down at the counter.

"Oh I had the best night. It's so quiet and peaceful here. I remember how it felt the first time I came to visit my parents" I smile as I think back.

"You actually get some rest here" she chuckles and hands me the cup.

"Oh absolutely" I nod my head. "Ooh thank you" I sigh in appreciation and take a first sip.

"I hope I didn't wake you?" she asks as a sudden realization.

"No, no. It was this amazing coffee smell but it's a good thing. I could sleep the whole day" I laugh in embarrassment. "Usually Alex wakes me up but she isn't here."

"Oh? Didn't she tell you-" she frowns and stops talking.

"What?" I smile and urge her to continue.

"She told me she was going for a run but she should've been back already" she frowns and looks at her watch.

"She didn't say anything to me." I shake my head. I'm not mad at her but her mother seems worried and that makes me a bit worried.

"She'll be here any minute. She probably saw someone she knows and got stuck in conversation." she laughs it off and places the milk back in the fridge.

I can't help but think about Jamie. She surely knows we are here and she probably knows that Alex is training again. I wouldn't be surprised if she waited for Alex along the pier.

"I'm going to my office in a bit, will you be ok here? I can wait for Al-"

"No, no it's fine" I quickly object. "I'm going to take a nice long shower and just relax."

"Ok, Alex will be here any minut-"

Her words are cut off when we hear the front door open and we both turn around to see Alex heading for the stairs but she stops when she sees us.

"Good morning b-beautiful" she stutters.

"Hi?" I say in a bit of confusion.

Now, I can't see her mother's face behind me but it probably has the same deep frown as me.